Is The Esoterica Bubble Ending Because of China?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Former Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Not a fan then?
My own observation is that he has been mostly right in describing at least the on line part of the Esoterica feeding frenzy in the last few years. That is only part of the story, though, as a substantial portion of the Esoterica that has gone offshore has come directly from shop leakage, particularly B&M’s in high OTP tax jurisdictions. and never saw a web shopping site, Facebook, eBay, Pipestuds web page, or other publicly visible outlets.

Reactions: jpberg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is only part of the story, though, as a substantial portion of the Esoterica that has gone offshore has come directly from shop leakage, particularly B&M’s in high OTP tax jurisdictions. and never saw a web shopping site, Facebook, eBay, Pipestuds web page, or other publicly visible outlets.
When it has not been leaking into my cellar. That's what I've been telling folks here who keep complaining about finding Esoterica from the two or three online dealers they haunt. It's out there at B&M's and you can find it if you're willing to make the effort.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
As others have said, Esoterica collects dust at B&Ms. I went into a pipe shop during the October Esoterica drop and bought Stonehaven and Penzance, as it’s limited to one per person.

I went back a week or two later and they still had some, so I asked the guy if I could buy more Stonehaven and he said something along the lines of, “Yeah sure, why not.” And so I bought another one.

During this past December drop he grabbed two bags of Stonehaven when I walked in and started ringing them up right away. It pays to be a regular.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As others have said, Esoterica collects dust at B&Ms. I went into a pipe shop during the October Esoterica drop and bought Stonehaven and Penzance, as it’s limited to one per person.

I went back a week or two later and they still had some, so I asked the guy if I could buy more Stonehaven and he said something along the lines of, “Yeah sure, why not.” And so I bought another one.

During this past December drop he grabbed two bags of Stonehaven when I walked in and started ringing them up right away. It pays to be a regular.
That's the way to do it.

Reactions: americaman

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
... Unless you live in a state with an 85% excise tax on pipe tobacco and the closest retailer that carries even Orlik golden slice is a few hours away. IMHO Penzance is good but there are better blends out there. However if anybody has extra Stonehaven or Peacehaven (or RDF) bags I'd love to buy or trade for some!

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah - unfortunately, here in Florida, there are painfully few B&M Pipe shops left. Cigars have remained somewhat popular, but pipe smoking has gone terribly soft here. Probably too many millennials! rotf

This is the truth, one can always find a cigar store in Florida but a cigar store with pipe tobacco? When you do they usually have only 3 or 4 tins and Lane 1Q in a jar. Though I must say Pensacola's leading cigar store has started to up its pipe game.

Status
Not open for further replies.