Is The Esoterica Bubble Ending Because of China?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
That's curious. Considering it's 20+ year old tins, how much could anyone possibly supply? Even hoarders are eventually going to smoke through their stash. At least Esoterica is a renewable source.
A lot. Murray’s era Dunhill was widely hoarded. I know one collector who had, when I visited him in late 2016, dozens of sleeves (5 tins) of Murray’s Nightcap, Royal Yacht, Elizabethan and London Mixture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, pre Danish Dunhill is the next fad. A lot of cellared product will be turning up, assuming the wife and kiddies don't toss it in the dumpster, when the current generation of hoarders starts falling off the twig.

At some point in time the fad will probably be McClelland.

This is all about "star fucking" tobaccos, not about connoisseurship.

Oct 7, 2016
So, pre Danish Dunhill is the next fad. A lot of cellared product will be turning up, assuming the wife and kiddies don't toss it in the dumpster, when the current generation of hoarders starts falling off the twig.

At some point in time the fad will probably be McClelland.

This is all about "star fucking" tobaccos, not about connoisseurship.
My understanding is that possession of a large cellar of unobtainum is, in Mainland China, a status symbol. A friend has shared pictures posted on Chinese social media of some of these guys tobacco rooms crammed full, but still optimized for display with overhead flood lights, etc.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My understanding is that possession of a large cellar of unobtainum is, in Mainland China, a status symbol. A friend has shared pictures posted on Chinese social media of some of these guys tobacco rooms crammed full, but still optimized for display with overhead flood lights, etc.
In keeping with the ultra high end pipe activity that was happening in China a few years back where gifts of ultra high end pipes were used to seal major business deals.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Taiwan has its own postal service, Chunghwa Post. It'd be rather remarkable for the postal service of mainland China, China Post, to serve Taiwan, as they are separate countries.
I agree. I'm a foreigner, naturally, but I always thought it was strange that my shipments from Wujie Township (Yilan County) Taiwan had China Post stamps. Every single one.

Just an observation. Clearly I make no presumptions where it concerns each nation's sovereignty.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I agree. I'm a foreigner, naturally, but I always thought it was strange that my shipments from Wujie Township (Yilan County) Taiwan had China Post stamps. Every single one.

Just an observation. Clearly I make no presumptions where it concerns each nation's sovereignty.
Now that it's been mentioned, I order a lot of puzzles from Japan and they have Chinese stamps and postal codes.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Just as with anything, prestige in the hobby means there are plenty of what we call "fan boys" stateside. I've seen plenty of photos reposted and reposted. Huge cellars, obvious redistribution operations. They get distributed online like photos of attractive women at parties that the poster and reposter and reposter have never been to.

The real players aren't ostentatious braggarts. You won't see a photo of a "real" cellar, because they belong to older businessmen who don't hang out trying to impress people on social media.

I took a photo of an old tin of EMP at pipe club. On top of my pipe bag (plaid). I kid you not, someone contacted me telling me that a Chinese fellow had claimed that he'd bought it. And he reposted MY photo.

?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Wonder how many of our photos on here are done that way? ?
Well Pipesmagazine forum has something to protect it from that type of thing, and that's that it is indexed. If you search a topic on Google an informative Pipesmagazine article will pop up. It wouldn't do for a status-seeker to repost photos from here only to be caught out by a reverse image search.

Still. Stranger things have happened. :LOL:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
[1] Google the complete original post---it's already indexed on Google.

[2] I'm still waiting to find out where this "information" came from.

[Edit: I found out.]

Reactions: jpmcwjr

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It's a status symbol here too. People are always posting those pictures on Facebook, along with their pipe selfies.
Facebook is for children. Same questions repeated over and over again. "What's your profession?" .... "Desert island! What blend?" ... "Mold or plume?!"

The advantage to a forum like this is that you'll never have something as silly as two concurrent threads about which Esoterica blends are the best.

:LOL:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The Chinese market has absolutely not backed off of Esoterica blends but as someone else here mentioned, they are having to purchase in smaller quantities due to the current customs crackdown over there. This happens from time to time over there and eases up after awhile each time.

Someone else brought up old Murray's era Dunhill. I can't speak for other vendors but my pricing has been the same for those the last 2-3 years and purchases remain steady but in smaller amounts at a time. Again, I see that as an indicator of the current trade issue between the USA and China and the crackdown by customs over there.

Finally, some of those Chinese customers are pretty crafty. They'll still buy large amounts of product but want their packages shipped individually to half a dozen of their friends at different locations. That way they can still purchase 10 pounds of tobacco but with 6 buddies, it just looks like they're purchasing less than two pounds of tobacco apiece.

Oct 7, 2016
The Chinese market has absolutely not backed off of Esoterica blends
The big resellers have. They weren’t paying $175 a bag for Penzance and Stonehaven that retail buyers pay on your page, but would take everything. Not now.
It is a multi tiered market. Resellers who are de facto distributors, affluent collectors, many of whom frequent the Chicago show and perhaps others, and younger fan boys who try to scrape a few bags where they can as cheap as they can.

I guess you need to raise your prices on Irish Dunhill. The demand has certainly gone up. ?

Reactions: pipestud

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Again, I see that as an indicator of the current trade issue between the USA and China and the crackdown by customs over there.
Steve, I think the current trade "issue" is creating a bigger problem than just kinks in the international Esoterica pipeline. It's causing trouble for manufacturers who rely on international supply chains and our farmers who are in the export business. Big business takes a hit, but small business has a tougher time finding a workaround. On behalf of our American businesses I hope that some regulatory normalcy comes to bear soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.