PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone ever get to Totonos at Coney Island for pizza? It was a classic place. They got burnt out about ten years ago, and I'm not sure they reopened. Nathan's hot dogs near Broadway was a nice after show place for quick and not expensive. I was an enlisted Navy guy and my woman friend was a young reporter, and that was about the right deal. Next day we got a Christmas tree and a dry green paint encrusted bucket off the street for a stand. When she went to work, I rode the Staten Island ferry in the winter.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and moved to Central Virginia about 15 years ago. There is very little I miss about California - Monterey/Carmel is the only thing I can think of - and much prefer Virginia. I now live about 30 minutes from Shenandoah National Park and the view of the Shenandoah Valley in the Fall is absolutely stunning. I love the four seasons and the overall quality of life is significantly higher out here in Central Virginia.

Shenandoah Valley is stunning in the fall. Great part of the East Coast for sure.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Living in Da-Bronx, back in my salad days....on more than a few occasions... my friends and I dropped a pretty good hunk of money chowing down on the food served at Katz's. I rarely get the chance to get down into Manhattan....nor, do I want to go there anymore, but years ago it was quite a nice change of pace to drop in at Katz's instead of the same old pizza joints that I frequented. Now, NYC pizza, is some of the best...but pastrami on rye!... no comparison. Back then, I also had a cast-iron stomach, could stay out all night and go straight to work the next day without sleeping, and without any problem.

Ah....sweet bird of youth!...
Dude, that's pretty much how I feel. 100% agree. My salad days were the 80s and 90s maybe to around 2004, but that would be stretching it. And I get the iron stomach part too. Eating and drinking your way across the city, getting home at 4 a.m. or later and being in work by 9. That was awesome stuff. I seldom get to Manhattan these days myself. Once or twice a year, maybe. I do hit Arthur Avenue once a year and sometimes hit Queens for a Mets game and then hit that Flushing China Town which is amazing as hell.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always say you can put another layer on but once you've hit naked you can't take anything off. A reason that proves winter is better then summer.
I always wear slacks, a tshirt, and a button up collared shirt. In winter I add much more. Cold hurts my arthritis and knee implant. Heat is more bearable than pain and I haven't had my air conditioning on all year. My furnace however was just turned on.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Anyone ever get to Totonos at Coney Island for pizza? It was a classic place. They got burnt out about ten years ago, and I'm not sure they reopened. Nathan's hot dogs near Broadway was a nice after show place for quick and not expensive. I was an enlisted Navy guy and my woman friend was a young reporter, and that was about the right deal. Next day we got a Christmas tree and a dry green paint encrusted bucket off the street for a stand. When she went to work, I rode the Staten Island ferry in the winter.
I was a more an L&B Spumoni Gardens kind of guy - my brother used to eat Totonos and Nathans

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Always been slightly jealous that you have a continental sized country with almost all climate zones covered, and where you can basically choose what suits you best. While it is relatively easy (thanks to the EU) to move and live in different parts of Europe, in reality the language barrier and the differences in job markets/systems etc. are making moving around in Europe a bit more of a challenge. I for one lived in Germany, Austria, Scotland, England and now Denmark. Would prefer a warmer or at least more continental climate (with cold winters and warm summers). Denmark just has 6-7 months of 0-7/8 C with a lot of rain, wind and darkness. Anyway: more on topic: I often wondered why some areas are famous for their autumn colors, while other areas with broad-leaved forests are not. I suspect it is to do with the tree species (how it colors), and it needs a fairly uniform tree cover (with the same species dominant).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I always wear slacks, a tshirt, and a button up collared shirt. In winter I add much more. Cold hurts my arthritis and knee implant. Heat is more bearable than pain and I haven't had my air conditioning on all year. My furnace however was just turned on.
I sweat so profusely that summer is just gross and uncomfortable. Every single time that fall hits my walking easily range expands so much. Though honestly you know what I love the best about winter, other people they move like they don't want to be there.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Anyway: more on topic: I often wondered why some areas are famous for their autumn colors, while other areas with broad-leaved forests are not. I suspect it is to do with the tree species (how it colors), and it needs a fairly uniform tree cover (with the same species dominant).
it's kind of like talking about what makes one painting great and another not so great. There are so many factors some really subtle. The angle and quality of the light is big the type of trees and variety of colors and shades. The densities of leaves and trees effect how the light disperses. Somehow all those things come together in a way that sometimes could be called magical. It's really the kind of thing you have to see with your own eyes and honestly with your own soul to really get. There are spots I could take you, that would increase your chances of falling in love (which is why I'm not taking you to those spots), because they are that sublimely beautiful.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
often wondered why some areas are famous for their autumn colors, while other areas with broad-leaved forests are not.
When I was shooting in Vermont, I asked that question of the local bank president, who was taking me around to scout locations. His answer, which I've since heard from others, is that the change in color relates to the sudden drop in temperature. There may be something to that as we followed the wave of changing color across the state.

Reactions: sumusfumus
Status
Not open for further replies.