PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Well, I've lived my whole life in coastal southern New England in CT along the 95 corridor within driving distance of some real beaten up industrial cities---hardly New England at all, more like a suburb of NYC. And yet, fall is still an amazing thing. Every bit as good as it appears in the movies. Most everyone I know from here including myself agree that Autumn is the best of the 4 seasons.

Any given year, depending on rain totals during the summer and how hot it was, the leaves may be a disappointment but that's very rare. Or the leaves might be perfect and then we get one early nor'easter and all the leaves come down overnight. But it doesn't matter, the leaves are beautiful even on the ground...blowing in the wind or crunching under your feet as you walk in a creepy old New England grave yard.

Just drive carefully if it's raining during the fall. Them leaves are as slippery as ice---well almost.

But aside from the foliage..... the Autumn comes with as close to perfect weather as we ever get. Pleasantly dry most of the time with temps ranging from the high 40s at night to low 70s during the day on a warm one. It's as long a stretch of Southern California weather as we're like to get for the year.

All that said, I still can't wait to get out of here. The weather is otherwise pretty crappy just as others have mentioned. Always either too humid in the summer or too damp in the winter..... and then abominably dry for long stretches, cold, windy. Then there's the traffic everywhere!! LOL.

Some day I plan to move to the desert southwest, but I'd very much like to keep a condo or some super small house in this area. So I could enjoy the beach in summer and be here for the fall holidays.....Halloween and Thanksgiving. And I'd have to come back for the pizza and the grinders and the seafood etc.etc.etc. One thing I've noticed about the south or the southwest is that there are just way too many chains and not enough family owned restaurants. Anyway, TMI ....but YES, FALL IS AWESMOME HERE!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was in California for over a year in the Navy in the early 1970's. I grew up in the Chicago area, a near-north suburb. And I have lived in North Carolina and traveled a bit the rest of my adult life. Actually, I experienced distinct seasons in California, outdoors a lot in boot camp and for other training before shipping out, so I was in the chill before dawn for hours for example. Chicago has powerful seasons, maybe more so in the 1950's, incredible bitter "Russian" winters, lilac festooned springs, sultry summers with Wagnerian thunderstorms, and leaf-burning fall. N.C. is a sort of montage of climates. I've seen short sleeves for Thanksgiving and snowfall in April. Winter is totally different from summer, and we do have snowfalls, but they last three or four days. From my limited experience with New England, I'd say, it is dazzlingly beautiful in its season and changes, but you'd better like the dead of winter that seems unending. Even in Chicago, a long way from New England, in the middle of February, I'd stopped waiting for spring. It was a permafrost state of mind.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
NY STATE.... is a beautiful destination to visit/tour in the Autumn. It looks even better than all the pictures. Vibrant, rich colors that contrast with the somber pines and evergreens. Beautiful part of the country. It's a shame that humans polluted, and sullied such a pristine Eden.

New York City is a shit-hole. Bypass it, keep going, and don't stop. Wait....back up.... I take that back. If you do find your way into NYC, and simply must get a good nosh, you cannot beat Katz's Deli on Grand Street. Get a nice pastrami, or brisket on rye, order a knish with mustard, and get some green tomato pickles on the side. I could plotz, just thinking about it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Katz's Deli in NYC is the mother church of deli, or one of them. NYC's restaurants are its soul. More than the drinking spots which get overrun with tourists and work place delegations and lose their way. The restaurants take everyone from anywhere and make them part of dining. Chicago has a few major delis. Elsewhere, they are rare or failed in their mission, or don't survive. Go to Katz's with a big appetite.

Reactions: sumusfumus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the seasons in various places are less characteristic today than they were when I was growing up. Further, whether they are or not, I think in considering moving, you can't really audition a climate. I've been to Seattle at least twice, and it was dry and sunny both times. My trip to Toronto in March was brisk but dry. No one should move to Chicago until they have experienced an intense thunderstorm; I love them, or the memory of them, but they might not appeal to someone else. N.C. has intense rain, sometimes intermittent but for weeks on end, but nothing like a Chicago August thunderstorm, which is total drama in five acts. Luckily, I went to school in N.C. before I became a resident, so I knew what I was getting, somewhat, except for inland hurricanes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It really makes a difference where on the East Coast you are. Could you please ID of where you speak?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.
central PA. And the woods in the fall are just beautiful.

Reactions: sumusfumus

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
NY STATE.... is a beautiful destination to visit/tour in the Autumn. It looks even better than all the pictures. Vibrant, rich colors that contrast with the somber pines and evergreens. Beautiful part of the country. It's a shame that humans polluted, and sullied such a pristine Eden.

New York City is a shit-hole. Bypass it, keep going, and don't stop. Wait....back up.... I take that back. If you do find your way into NYC, and simply must get a good nosh, you cannot beat Katz's Deli on Grand Street. Get a nice pastrami, or brisket on rye, order a knish with mustard, and get some green tomato pickles on the side. I could plotz, just thinking about it!

I think Katz Deli is on Houston Street, pronounced HOWston in case you do want that Pastrami sandwich. You'll probably balk at the price, but don't. Their pastrami ruined all other pastrami for me, it's that good and the sandwich is like a pound of the hot stuff piled high on fresh baked rye. And they give you a side of pickled green tomatoes and pickles. One sandwich is almost too much to take for a normal human, but I've managed it a few times. Afterwards go to McSorley's a few blocks away for a real slice of American history.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and moved to Central Virginia about 15 years ago. There is very little I miss about California - Monterey/Carmel is the only thing I can think of - and much prefer Virginia. I now live about 30 minutes from Shenandoah National Park and the view of the Shenandoah Valley in the Fall is absolutely stunning. I love the four seasons and the overall quality of life is significantly higher out here in Central Virginia.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I think Katz Deli is on Houston Street, pronounced HOWston in case you do want that Pastrami sandwich. You'll probably balk at the price, but don't. Their pastrami ruined all other pastrami for me, it's that good and the sandwich is like a pound of the hot stuff piled high on fresh baked rye. And they give you a side of pickled green tomatoes and pickles. One sandwich is almost too much to take for a normal human, but I've managed it a few times. Afterwards go to McSorley's a few blocks away for a real slice of American history.
Living in Da-Bronx, back in my salad days....on more than a few occasions... my friends and I dropped a pretty good hunk of money chowing down on the food served at Katz's. I rarely get the chance to get down into Manhattan....nor, do I want to go there anymore, but years ago it was quite a nice change of pace to drop in at Katz's instead of the same old pizza joints that I frequented. Now, NYC pizza, is some of the best...but pastrami on rye!... no comparison. Back then, I also had a cast-iron stomach, could stay out all night and go straight to work the next day without sleeping, and without any problem.

Ah....sweet bird of youth!...

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I grew up on the East Coast and it's true, there's nothing quite like Fall colors in Vermont and NH.

Colorado is pretty spectacular when the Aspen are in full color as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.