New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I'm super confused. I hope my next pipe produces some great sexton Hamilton Algerian milk.
For what it’s worth… the finest milk I ever tasted was on the The Bailiwick of Guernsey. Nothing, and I mean nothing , can compare to the absolute quality of that milk and it’s taste. A Jersey may come close, but it isn’t a photo finish.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
For what it’s worth… the finest milk I ever tasted was on the The Bailiwick of Guernsey. Nothing, and I mean nothing , can compare to the absolute quality of that milk and it’s taste. A Jersey may come close, but it isn’t a photo finish.
Better even than goat milk? How about Algerian goat milk?

Jun 25, 2021
England
I sometimes have full cream Guernsey milk delivered from a farm shop.
You're right, there's nothing like it.
Just to keep things on topic I will try to get my my next delivery in Algerian briar churns.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Lo and behold in this morning’s post, arrived a genuine old straight grain Algerian briar pipe, made in France.

It was heavily caked, and a previous owner had filed off the tip of the button, but with some steel wool and a Butner reamer and Everclear and pipe cleaners, this very high grade, but low priced unbranded pipe cleaned up nicely and for the first smoke, promises tkexcellent smoker!

I left it on the deck as I hurried off to my office.

Let’s see if twenty dollars buys, the theoretically highest grade briar pipe ever made, just not a pretty one.

4E57190E-C3CB-4526-B3E8-EDBB04C1ADF9.jpeg416B8F0D-75D1-4B3D-9DF7-E98AC06C9843.jpegA9D2A571-B0E0-4974-80E7-4517C5BCEC61.jpeg267FBD9A-3C52-420B-8CF3-A03493B3BFFC.jpeg545DB100-DA25-484E-8838-692325A977E4.jpeg3D164235-21EB-4A86-A98B-F3FF99D9C5DB.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lo and behold in this morning’s post, arrived a genuine old straight grain Algerian briar pipe, made in France.

It was heavily caked, and a previous owner had filed off the tip of the button, but with some steel wool and a Butner reamer and Everclear and pipe cleaners, this very high grade, but low priced unbranded pipe cleaned up nicely and for the first smoke, promises tkexcellent smoker!

I left it on the deck as I hurried off to my office.

Let’s see if twenty dollars buys, the theoretically highest grade briar pipe ever made, just not a pretty one.

View attachment 102577View attachment 102586View attachment 102587View attachment 102588View attachment 102589View attachment 102590
What's it like smoking a pipe without a button??

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think I would have sent her off to Briar works and had a new stem put on her, but, being that the pipe really has some flaws, maybe filing of some rubber and making a new button is the best choice. In fact, what a neat challenge.
Actually, I have it where it clenches perfectly on my right side of my mouth, but not my left.

I have a shed at the farm with a work bench.

What a good rounded bottomed old squat apple sitter this will be for my workbench.

When I was a kid watchmakers, gunsmiths and jewelers used to favor these.

There was an old man named Holmes that had a watch shop in Humansville, and he’d show me how his squat apple pipes like that were nearly impossible to tip over. And that saddle bit keeps the button off the desk.

Just like his, I can tip this aaaaall the way over and it rights itself.

I’ll bet some old bench worker had a set of five or seven of these and kept them rotated.