PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I've smoked a Falcon for many years and despite NOT being a serial pipe cleaner I've never encountered such a problem. Dry rings in my opinion are just a piss take to make money. I've never used them and neither have any Falcon users I've known over the years. I just give the reservoir a flick now and again to get rid of moisture and shove a pipe cleaner through every so often...which is not very often I must admit.
If not a blockage I can only think it might be a problem with the blend of tobacco you're using?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've smoked a Falcon for many years and despite NOT being a serial pipe cleaner I've never encountered such a problem. Dry rings in my opinion are just a piss take to make money. I've never used them and neither have any Falcon users I've known over the years. I just give the reservoir a flick now and again to get rid of moisture and shove a pipe cleaner through every so often...which is not very often I must admit.
If not a blockage I can only think it might be a problem with the blend of tobacco you're using?
I think the Falcon system is near foolproof and consistently delivers a good smoke and should appeal to the frugal (Scottish) pipe smoker. The OP must have gotten a stem with an obstruction from the factory. Hope it gets solved as there are enough Falcon naysayers here!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Update: - I have contacted Falcon directly and they say it is possibly a fault that has occurred during the moulding process, they have offered to send out a replacement stem.
I’ve got to say, when it comes to customer care, this is pretty spectacular - I emailed yesterday (Sunday night, UK time) and they responded within 12 hours to an email that I sent to their general enquiries email address. Good work Falcon Pipes!

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Update: - I have contacted Falcon directly and they say it is possibly a fault that has occurred during the moulding process, they have offered to send out a replacement stem.
I’ve got to say, when it comes to customer care, this is pretty spectacular - I emailed yesterday (Sunday night, UK time) and they responded within 12 hours to an email that I sent to their general enquiries email address. Good work Falcon Pipes!
Absolutely terrific. You have promoted me to stick a Falcon bowl in my cart the next time I place a tobacco order.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I've had good luck using the Dill's fluffy and bistle pipe cleaners clearing obstruction that regular size pipe cleaners cannot pass through. They are a smaller diameter than a regular pipe cleaner and the price you pay for them reflect this. Some of the kaywoodies I've restored will only pass a Dill's.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Absolutely terrific. You have promoted me to stick a Falcon bowl in my cart the next time I place a tobacco order.
I think every one should get at least on Falcon. They're far from my favorite pipe but they give a huge amount of bang for the price. I tend to smoke mine pretty regularly when in the mood for a shorter smoke (i.e. walking home a.k.a. the one time I don't want to spend extra time smoking).

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
After many years of not getting around to ordering one of these, I ordered two a couple of months ago. I remember a neighbor of mine smoking one of these back in the mid 1960's.

Oddly enough, I have the same problem with one of them.

As it turns out, there is a small vertical gap in the casting, but not a round hole that will let me pass a pipe cleaner...

The other pipe has a distinguishable hole.8B185AE7-3CAC-493A-BAF9-DC1A73A4B5CB.jpeg4DF1A72C-24F3-4F5E-85B2-95B83B71450D.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if this has anything to with your issues but I found I can't smoke the falcon when it's really cold or kind of cold and humid without it getting kind of nasty. I think the environment can make more smoke condense in the humidome. Also why go from the bowl end with a pipe cleaner? I do that with most of my stems but with the falcon I find it just doesn't really like going through that way. Also thinner pipe cleaners are the way to go with falcons helps avoid blockages.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have cleaned up many Falcons. Some do have a clog in the aluminum body and a stiff piece of wire has always done the trick. If it is a stem clog then you should drill it out. I am happy to see they sent you the goods and I assume a new stem fixed it?

Reactions: OzPiper

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
After many years of not getting around to ordering one of these, I ordered two a couple of months ago. I remember a neighbor of mine smoking one of these back in the mid 1960's.

Oddly enough, I have the same problem with one of them.

As it turns out, there is a small vertical gap in the casting, but not a round hole that will let me pass a pipe cleaner...

The other pipe has a distinguishable hole.View attachment 68011View attachment 68012
I ended up asking a friend, who repairs watches, to see if he could maybe drill out the blocked pipe thinking that if anything went wrong, like drilling through the shank or something, then the kind people at Falcon had already replaced it so nothing ventured nothing gained, and he did. Not everyone has a friend with small drills though. It does seem to be an error when casting the plastic mouthpiece but when I contacted Falcon directly, they sent me another when I explained what was going on. To be honest, I really like the ergonomics and weight of them and I’ve been puffing away happily on them ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.