Is JackKnife Plug Supposed To . . . SMELL LIKE ROTTING DEATH??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm not a major dark-fired fan but decided to try a tin of 2 year old JackKnife Plug. It smokes well enough, but Jesus wept . . . the tin aroma stinks in a very weird rotting fruit way that I don't understand. It's like rotting apples sitting out on Bourbon Street while a drunken hobo takes a dump nearby in an ally.

Is this essence of dumpster normal for JackKnife? Did I get a bad tin that's just about to turn to mold? (Note: I recently opened a tin of Temple Bar and found it covered in mold so now I'm nervous on GLP plugs)

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
It's like rotting apples sitting out on Bourbon Street while a drunken hobo takes a dump nearby in an ally.

Okay, I have to admit...I have heard terms such as spicy, leather and such used in reviews, but never the above. I find that rather refreshing.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
I have a few tins of Chelsea Morning from 2011. I had opened one of them back in July. It smelled fairly rotten if I remember it correctly. The smell gradually went away after a few days.
Although it smelled bad, it did not have any impact whatsoever on the smoke.

EDIT: I bought a bunch of tins from a guy all dating back to 2011. Of the ones I opened so far, only Chelsea Morning smelled rotten, possibly because it had a lot of moisture in the tin.

Reactions: odobenus

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’d have to be home to open the small jar I’ve got of it for ‘immediate’ smoking to smell it again. Off the top of my head I don’t recall a terribly unpleasant smell associated with it. I really like it, though it can be interesting to prep and pack.

I’ve got a larger jar full of plugs of it that’s closed and aging.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
My tin never smelled of which you claim, but it did have a slight vinegar smell due to fermentation. I prefer this aroma and it makes it well known that something magical was happening.

Reactions: BROBS and logs

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Tins manufactured by Cornell & Diehl will smell like anything, and they will contain just about any surprise inside that you can imagine. I saw a photo of someone who found a beard hair ("beard" is a generous supposition) and plenty of instances of mold. I wouldn't preclude the possibility of evil spirits, necessitating a bona fide exorcism.

My recommendation would be that you let your tin "breathe" after opening it. If the tins speaks, moves, or does anything to aggravate you---bury it under fireplace ash and sprinkle it with holy water.

Status
Not open for further replies.