Is German / Danish Black Cavendish Burley Or Virginia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I like to think I know about constituent tobaccos, but I've been curious about this for a while. I know that American Cavendish is typically Green River Burley, and English Cavendish is comprised of various Virginia tobaccos. I've heard that all European Cavendish is VA as well, but searching doesn't give me any conclusive answers concerning German, Danish, or Dutch Cavendish. Does anyone know if producers such as DTM, K&K, HU, STG, MacBaren, etc strictly use VA in their Black Cavendish or do they use Burley? I suspect Danish companies may use both, and I'm totally lost on Dutch brands, although I believe most or all of them are currently produced by Danish manufacturers. If anyone can shed some definitive light on the subject, I truly appreciate it!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
So from what I’m reading it appears that only in the US is cavendish made from burley.

SG and GH cav is also VA.
That's kinda what I thought, I just wasn't sure since I haven't seen it in print anywhere. Also since STG makes Lane blends I wasn't sure if they co-opted the practice. I assumed they used VA Cavendish in their dunhill and other English branded blends, but I wasn't sure about Danish aromatics in general.

Reactions: Bowie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That’s a good question about STG stuff though. Also Planta (even though they’ve been bought) produced Rum and Maple which was a classic American blend. So did they switch to VA cavendish for that blend even though it contains burley? I have no idea.

would love to hear if anyone else knows any details.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Well I got some holdger danske black and bourbon and it definitely had Burley. But now looking at tobacco review it actually says US burley....so I guess it's possible? Haha

That's the only Danish aromatic I've ever bought so I can't say much for the other brands you were talking about.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well I got some holdger danske black and bourbon and it definitely had Burley. But now looking at tobacco review it actually says US burley....so I guess it's possible? Haha

That's the only Danish aromatic I've ever bought so I can't say much for the other brands you were talking about.

the cav is VA though I believe..

Reactions: rushx9

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Oh okay. the whole mix is pretty black and I just assumed everything had undergone some kind of steam/ heat processing

Status
Not open for further replies.