Is Dunhill Really Going to Stop All Tobacco Production?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
tyT1kpC.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard that STG will still produce the blends, same recipes and same leaf supply, under new names in 2019. I'm sure we'll get a flood of, "This new stuff ain't as good as the old stuff we had back in 2009.". I think more people need to be glad for what they have and appreciate it instead of comparing it to a lost product.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And the stuff back in 2009 was different from the same stuff back in '66. Tobacco leaf morphs continuously as does the dirt it grows in. the rain which falls on it and all the other variables involved in growing and production. Now. as to better or worse? That depends on your constantly changing palate. Remember the "Great War Horse Debate?" A waste of space and really a great. amusing waste of time to read. No one palate stays the same over a number of years. The same can be said of one's memory. And, a "cellared" tobacco will also change over time. I believe that's the goal of some who store a blend over the years. The hope it will be even better in taste. Depending on their palate ... it's a crap shoot.
I know some of my chosen blends taste the same to me over the years as the subtle changes aren't really noted. I can go back to a blend I haven't smoked in years and the new generation may bear no resemblance to the memory. I write that off to my palate and the changes in leaf and manufacturing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Going back to the title of this thread, Dunhill stopped producing tobacco blends almost 40 years ago. Production was outsourced to Murrays and, apparently, McConnell when they still existed. Murrays simplified some of the blends, removing some aging and fermenting steps, and swapping out some components, to make them less costly to make. Each succeeding maker changes tobacco components and processing. The only apparent constant is the name. In a very real sense, these are Dunhill tobaccos in name only.
None of this matters if you like the resulting blend. So if BAT has made a deal with STG to use the recipes under another name, you will still have access to these Dunhill branded blends, even if the name is now gone.
From what I've read, the "McConnell" products are K&K takes on Dunhill-like blends. These may be fine blends in their own right. But when all is said and done, Dunhill tobaccos went out of production almost 40 years ago.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've heard that STG will still produce the blends, same recipes and same leaf supply, under new names in 2019.
Who did you "hear" that from? Somebody who would have firsthand knowledge? If so ask how many millions of dollars were paid for the rights to use such. I'm very interested in the financials.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've heard that STG will still produce the blends, same recipes and same leaf supply, under new names in 2019.
Who did you "hear" that from? Somebody who would have firsthand knowledge? If so ask how many millions of dollars were paid for the rights to use such. I'm very interested in the financials.
I asked a very well versed person at the West Coast Pipe Show about the possibility of STG continuing to blend the Dunhill tobacco's with a new name and new tin. This individual is a member of a very well known tobacco family, that's been blending and producing tobacco's for a very long time and is definitely in the know. This individual is a 5th generation member of the family (hint), and he stated that unless something falls through at the last moment you'll more likely than not see STG producing the current Dunhill tobaccos in 2019, new tin and new art. Just sit back and be patient your favorite Dunhill blends will reappear in 2019.
I posted a video about it on my YT channel about a week ago.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
A company owns the rights to their name, but the blender's company owns the blends. So if STG wants to continue making the tobaccos under a different name, they're entitled to. You can't trademark or patent a blend any more than a chef can do so to a recipe.
Russ

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Would that change in name and tin art allow the FDA to ban it until the company had paid up and given them $$$ to "test" the blend? It shouldn't be that way, and maybe it isn't, hence the question.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The FDA could be rolled into the EPA and be taken over by the YMCA by that time

Ah yes, the epic battle of the EPA vs YMCA. Hey, don't mess with the YMCA crew, those dudes are bad ass and they fight dirty.

maxresdefault.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What we seem to keep hearing about the FDA rules, and what we see happening in the real word, doesn't seem to coincide. If they release them under a new name, we should just be happy, without giving the horse's mouth the once over. IMO
There was a workaround. Record a sale of a blend prior to 8/8/16 and no need to go through the deeming process prior to offering it for sale in the marketplace. Nothing to stop any blender from making a "sale" of potentially hundreds of blends and then using those blanks as needed. As for 8/8/21? That's pretty clear. Deem or die.

There was a workaround. Record a sale of a blend prior to 8/8/16 and no need to go through the deeming process prior to offering it for sale in the marketplace. Nothing to stop any blender from making a "sale" of potentially hundreds of blends and then using those blanks as needed. As for 8/8/21? That's pretty clear. Deem or die.

When talking to Mr. Stokkebye at The Briary about this and their cigar named blends... he said, forum talk is bullshit to me," :::big smile:::, "the laws are still being interpreted."
So, really, I would place my faith in the companies, and not the many armchair lawyers we have on the forum that keep telling us what the rules are.

Status
Not open for further replies.