Is Dunhill Really Going to Stop All Tobacco Production?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Dunhill as a legal entity is fully out of the tobacco business. The last legal action was to dissolve the use of the Dunhill name on pipes. The pipe brand is now "White Spot" and the tobacco labeling (and tobacco production) has been terminated. A much-admired UK label, Dunhill has laboured through the past decade with changing designers, management teams and a general lack of focus. That era, however, suddenly appears to be very much over. They are now squarely focused on "British" luxury in the global market, specifically China.
Dunhill is currently focused on luxury golf and estate wear.

6500-SJ-Dunhill2-703x455.jpg

They have a long way to go. They are not even in the top 20 global luxury brands by sales. Think about HOW SMALL the pipe and tobacco revenue would be in this pool. I surely would ditch the baccy.

brandz-global-2015-luxury-chart1.png

Dunhill pipes are called White Spot now. But they can use the moniker, "Alfred Dunhill's White Spot."

eydd0oL.png

Dunhill tobacco (the use of the name on tobacco) is gone.

^^+1 Npod, for the years that we have been waiting on Dunhill to halt all pipe wares, I have been surprised at how guys have held on to the previous marketing brainwashing of this company. It's been like watching someone come out and piss on their brainwashed fans and berate them, and the fans all laughing with giddiness, that they were lucky enough to get pissed on.

Screw Dunhill for turning their backs on the pipe industry that made the name famous. Screw those new blends obviously released mediocre swill that was meant to make a last fling of as dime off of the idiots that praise that name.

Screw the Dunhill colognes, body washes, after shaves, marketed to these non-smoking elitist... pencil necks.
You guys can gather up these over-priced crumbs strewn by these fair-weather friends. I hope their colognes and wallets, and belts give their customers gout and leprosy.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I hope their colognes and wallets, and belts give their customers gout and leprosy.

Haha, tell us how you really feel. Lately I've been trying to decide on what pipe maker to go to for a "nice" pipe. Dunhill use to be a consideration but for a lot of the reasons you guys have mentioned and now a fear of leprosy, I'm thinking Castello.

Castello is an awesome pipemaker. There are actually a lot of very good pipe companies and makers that haven't been gouging their customers by over-pricing their pipes. Lately, with the new White Spots, I have seen more complaints posted about them now, more-so than with their pre-name change pipes. And, if British pipes is your thing, then take a look at some of the other makers, especially Northern Briars. Ian makes a marvelous pipe and charges a modest penny.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I have to admit that a birthyear '66 Dunhill would be tempting. I just don't see hardly any anywhere. There's a bent bulldog on Smokingpipes but it's pricey - at least IMO.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
With all that said, I did manage to stock up many pounds of Nightcap, EMP, and RY.

QaZ4iaH.jpg

And I will never smoke my Root-Lovat-Blum, Dunhill Root Briar 40 4R Lovat (1962) pipe. This rare beauty is an offering for the pipe Gods.

xV6rpEZ.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I have heard a lot of smack talk from both sides regarding dunhill pipes over the years on this forum. I had to buy one to decide for myself, and I bought one from Bruce (Foggymountain) and I have to admit it is far from my favorite briar.

The dunhill tobacco I have stocked my favorites slowly in my cellar for about 1 1/2 years now, and I am glad I did.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Orlik makes their tobacco right? If so I would assume they'll rename the blends and still sell them?

Status
Not open for further replies.