PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
Haven't tried an Irish in some time but intend to get some Black Bush soon...
Recently discovered I LOVE a good bourbon(via Old Van Winkle) and purchased some Woodford Reserve which seems quite tasty!
Scotch is more my usual and I enjoy anything from Dewars and Famous Grouse. Haven't ventured to the single malts often but did have a great time with a bottle of Glenmorangie once!

bnbcigars

Lurker
Dec 29, 2011
Washington, DC
Bourbon all the way! Maker's Mark is a go-to for me, but I like trying all kinds of bourbon. I even get in the mood some times for a good ole cheap bourbon.... Evan Green or VA Gentleman, something along those lines.
Anyone have any ideas for new kinds I should try??

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'm usually a Bourbon guy, but I got a bottle of glenlivet and I have to say it has been complementing the VA/Per stash really well ! The last three evenings it's been Hal o' the Wynd and tonight some escudo. Loving this scotch with it!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Only single malt. Before, only from Islay in Scotland, but I am in awe of the Japanese whiskey "The Yamazaki".

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Why only Islay malt whisky? I will say that I do get on long kicks that find me drinking only Islay malt whisky, but I still find just as much complexity and beauty in whisky from other areas of Scotland.
I keep hearing about The Yamazaki...I am dying to try it.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Why only Islay malt whisky? I will say that I do get on long kicks that find me drinking only Islay malt whisky, but I still find just as much complexity and beauty in whisky from other areas of Scotland.
To tell the truth, I like the smoky and salty flavor in them. I usually choose Islay in blind tastings, except for Talisker, that I often mistake for Islay. Other areas make equally complex whiskeys, but I use to like the Islay's ones more.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
In order of preference:
Tennessee Whiskey: Jack Daniels

Irish Whiskey: Jameson's
Enjoy Canadian Whiskeys and any Rye but I do not really enjoy Scotch.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I will admit I have little knowledge of pipes, but I do love my spirits. Here is my take, simply the opinion of a bourbon snob.
Scotch, I wont buy but when I go to friends house I will have a little the funky named stuff that people have mentioned here, it’s not my thing.
Now bourbon is my thing. First if you are mixing bourbon with anything other than ice you should just drink Jim Beam. There is a reason why it is the bestselling bourbon in the world, because it’s pretty good. But I am a bourbon snob but if you’re mixing Makers Mark with coke you are throwing your money away. I mix JB with club soda and use it for making mint juleps etc… I cant find it to spend more than $30 on a 750ml bottle when there are so many good ones under that price.

The rest of my bourbons I drink neat or with a splash of water.

My list:

4 Roses Small Batch (barrel proof) and Elijah Craig are favorites, very similar and smooth both $30

Old Grand Dad 114-proof nice and spicy, lots of rye, and reasonably priced.

Woodford reserve and Buffalo Trace are always on stock in my house.

You can never go wrong with Maker’s Mark, Knob Creek, Old Grand Dad BIB 100 & JB Black for sipping.
Drink it neat and you begin to notice the differences.
Jameson is made with the used barrels of the fine bourbons above mentioned, and is a nice change.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
There is no sugar in bourbon or scotch....none nada, unless you mix it with sugar

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Since I'm of Scotch/Irish heritage via West Virginia & Tennessee, should be no surprise I like some of all of them.
Irish: Bushmills 16 or 21 yo, recently found Black Bush to be a good step between Irish & Scotch.
Scotch: Most single malts, although my notables are:

Laphroaig 18 yo, Lagavulin, & Bowmore 21 yo from Islay.

Cragganmore, Glenmorangie, Macallen 25 yo, and of course, Balvenie 21 yo from Speyside.

Glen Garioch, Dalwhinnie from eastern Highlands.

Highland Park 12 yo from Orkney Islands.

Oban from western Highlands
Bourbon: single or small batch: Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Jefferson Reserve
Canadian: recently found Snake River Stampede, which is somewhat similar to a really nice single batch whiskey, Bush Pilot, made a few years ago but put out of business by a lawsuit from Anhauser/Busch.
Cognac: Remy Martin
Brandy: nice every-day sipper: Fundador, from Spain.
And for my liver transplant....

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
In order of preference;
Scotch single malt...Glenfiddich 12yr...Dalwhinnie 15yr

Scotch blended....Johnny Walker Black Label 12yr

Bourbon....Maker's Mark

Rye Whisky....Wiser's Deluxe
*** Not always but usually I prefer "Highland" Scotch Whisky's over "Isle". I'm not fussy on peat flavour.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Having been born and raised in the hills of SE Tennessee, my drink of choice is naturally

Jack Daniels "Tennessee Whiskey", unless there is "Lem Motlow - Tennessee Whiskey" available.
Otherwise, Makers Mark or Jim Beam will suffice.........
Can't say I like Scotch, taste like walnuts to me, and can't recall trying Irish Whiskey although

I might like it since my mother's maiden name is O'Rear.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Seagrams VO Rye with Canada Dry.. Discovered Jamesons Irish whisky just before I developed CHF so my affair with Jamesons was too short....butt hell...i'd drink anything as long as its not mixed with water ;)
Rob

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Drambuie is my Scotch of choice, and yes I am Scottish by ancestry, and yes I do spell badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.