PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
Happy St Padraig's Day to everyone. I'm sure "god" won't mind if you get drunk. He probably has more important things on his mind just lately - like where did it all go wrong?
Sláinte!

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Irish on my dad's side and German on my mother's are the best conclusions any of us can come to, so let's just say I'm Irish.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Stiivn, it all started going wrong in the Garden. Not going to get in a debate here, not the place, but God does care about each of us and getting drunk is one of the things he tells us not to be of. God bless each of you. Have a great day.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Having recently visited Dublin, I'm going to start acting Irish. In honor of this day I'm going to do nothing but bitch/moan/complain about the English. If I get hungry and fired from my job because I've done nothing but this, I will then proceed to blame the English for my sorry state of affairs. (BTW, I'm American, not English, and this is all in good fun)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Natibo, the Irish half of me bitches and moans at my English half all the time, which with a stiff upper lip takes it on the chin - everyone hates my English half - even me!! LOL

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Half Irish on my father’s side. Having a cup of Barry's tea right now, but after work I'll certainly have a pint or two of the dark stuff, room temp, or perhaps some Tullamore dew; and of course I'll be taking out the Peterson tonight.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Irish and Scandinavian here. My great grand parent on both sides came here on a boat from Ireland. My grandmother on my mother's side has a lot of our lineage documented in the Library of Congress. My ancestors came to Ireland from Oslo. Most of the time, I proclaim myself a Viking first, Irish second.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
My wife is from Kinsale, County Cork. I remember when we first started dating I asked her how hard they partied in Ireland on St Paddy's Day. She told me this was an American holiday (the way it is generally done in the States) and wants nothing to do with it. Not to say we won't have a few Smithwick's tonight, but the corned beef and cabbage doesn't fly here. Tonight will be beer-battered cod, chips, and slaw.
Cheers,
Dan

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If its nay Scottish its Crap! Sorry had to say it. First generation Canadian here with Scottish roots. Anyone asks.....especially my Scottish Father, I'm Canadian....period. Usually gets the grumpy old bastard up in arms and is particularly amusing to my brother and I. To all my Irish friends, have a great day and if I drank much I'd raise a pint to you. Cheers!
Brian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad's mom, Grandma to me, was Scotch-Irish, though her maiden name sounds English to me. The Yankee-proud

side of my Grandfather's family barely mentioned this, portraying the whole clan a Anglo. My sister and I suppose that

there are all kinds of wonderful extra ethnicities thrown in there. My mom's dad claimed to be Welsh, but his name

isn't, as near as we can tell. I think we're typical American stock. A genetic test would probably turn up a far wider

variety of cultures and ethnicities than we have been led to believe. In those earlier generations, it was an advantage to

play up the English connections, so that was what people did. When I went to Scotland, I "met my father" in every tour

guide and shop keeper; he was much more Scot, in terms of personality, than English. Great solicitousness toward

children, not often seen in Brits.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Irish/german & a 1/4 English. Grandmas 2nd cousin was the Desert Fox, maiden name Rommel. Happy St. Patricks day.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
We're all Irish on March 17! My wife is Irish, so I'm Irish by insemination. Right now, I'm smoking my Peterson Holmes Squire with Petersons Nutty Cut.

I've always been a Guinness junkie...

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Unfortunately, there's not a bit of Irish in me (as far as I know) so I had to correct that by smoking a bowlful of Old Dublin in my Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2014 pipe, followed by a sip (or two, or three) of Connemara peated single malt Irish Whiskey -- and now I'm feeling really Irish!

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Welsh born and raised. However I have a German grandmother and my surname is Mayo so figure all that out. Last run into my ancestry was that I am a Welsh, Irish, German and Spanish mongrel.
Judging by the amount of green that seems to creep out of every crevice of the known world at this time of year I am beginning to think the Irish have done more rutting than any creature on said planet.
I'll drink to that. Turns out with that lineage I am quite good at it.
Cheers all

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
English (Savage) on my father's side and Scottish (Clan Drummond) on my mother's side. However, some of my "English" ancestors had lands in the Ards in Ireland before they were forced to flee to the New World by Cromwell and his Parliamentarian Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.