PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm new to this community but was a long-time member/contributor in the r/smokingpipes subforum on Reddit until around 2017. I had been smoking a pipe from around 2010 until 2017 then life got in the way. However, I still have a ton of knowledge (definitely not as much as I did) in pipes and tobacco.

But, to be honest, my main focus here is to understand what tobacco and pipes are currently worth. I accumulated a vast collection of both tobacco, including over 500 tins/jars and multiple pipes. Since I cannot smoke as frequently anymore, I am looking to get them out of storage and into the hands of a person or people that may be able to enjoy them.

I believe this is the right place to gain all this information.

I'm also not necessarily trying to sell on this forum, just gaining knowledge about what I have.

Welcome from the Center Of The Known Universe!

Burbank.

As far as learning current values for pipes and tobaccos you can follow the twice weekly vintage tobacco sales at pipestud.com. Also there's a site called tinbids.com that features auctions of tobacco tins.

If you're divesting yourself of starfucker blends, McClelland, Esoterica, Balkan Sobranie, etc, prices are pretty good, starting at about $25 an ounce and going up from there. Non starfucker blends with some years on them, MacBaren, Rattray's, etc will have appreciated, just not as much. And as always, certain blends are more in demand than others. PIpestud's site will give you a picture of what tobaccos sell and for how much.

To get an idea of pipe values you can look at various estate pipe sites, like Pulverspriorbriar.com, BrairBlues, Blue Room Briars, etc and put some time into following auctions on eBay. One useful eBay tool is the advanced search option where you can look at all auctions over a period of several months of a specific make of pipe, which should also help you get a sense of what the market will bear. RIght now it's a pretty buoyant estate market. For example, high quality Britwood is getting quite respectable prices at the moment probably about a 30% rise over the past two years. If the economic fecal matter hits the spinning blades, estate pipe and tobacco prices will plummet, just as they did in 2007-8.

As for selling here, there are posting and activity requirements for sellers and buyers to qualify. They're pretty minimal, but they're there because people abused this site in the past and ripped off a number of members here. People who ignore the guidelines and end up getting fucked have only themselves to blame.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

nosoup4me

Lurker
May 28, 2022
Houston
Welcome from the Center Of The Known Universe!

Burbank.

As far as learning current values for pipes and tobaccos you can follow the twice weekly vintage tobacco sales at pipestud.com. Also there's a site called tinbids.com that features auctions of tobacco tins.

If you're divesting yourself of starfucker blends, McClelland, Esoterica, Balkan Sobranie, etc, prices are pretty good, starting at about $25 an ounce and going up from there. Non starfucker blends with some years on them, MacBaren, Rattray's, etc will have appreciated, just not as much. And as always, certain blends are more in demand than others. PIpestud's site will give you a picture of what tobaccos sell and for how much.

To get an idea of pipe values you can look at various estate pipe sites, like Pulverspriorbriar.com, BrairBlues, Blue Room Briars, etc and put some time into following auctions on eBay. One useful eBay tool is the advanced search option where you can look at all auctions over a period of several months of a specific make of pipe, which should also help you get a sense of what the market will bear. RIght now it's a pretty buoyant estate market. For example, high quality Britwood is getting quite respectable prices at the moment probably about a 30% rise over the past two years. If the economic fecal matter hits the spinning blades, estate pipe and tobacco prices will plummet, just as they did in 2007-8.

As for selling here, there are posting and activity requirements for sellers and buyers to qualify. They're pretty minimal, but they're there because people abused this site in the past and ripped off a number of members here. People who ignore the guidelines and end up getting fucked have only themselves to blame.
Thank you so much for the info! Yeah, I'm looking to divest all of it. But I know what will actually bring money. I have 70 tins of McClelland, 4 8oz bags of Eso and Balkan, then some miscellaneous Syrian blends. But I appreciate everything recommend and I'm definitely going to check them out ASAP.

Reactions: alan73 and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: nosoup4me

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Welcome @nosoup4me from Houston also.

Would you like to come to the Houston Pipe Club next Friday (1st Fri every month)? We could visit with you about what you have and give you some direction. Maybe share a pipe as well.

6:00 to around 10:00, depending. Stogies Cigar on Westeimer. Or pm me for more details.