PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I double the escudo recommendation it's a very satisfying smoke. I think it's been a while since I've gone through a tin so fast. It's one of those rare blends that seems to invite casual enjoyment as well as deep inspection of the flavor. Usually they're not one in the same.

Reactions: UncleRasta

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Welcome! That's a slippery slope, cellaring before knowing what your taste's are can be costly. Unless it's anything esoterica, and you can easily resell if you realize it's not for you. There's tons of knowledge and opinions on this site, so buckle up for a great ride!
Indeed. I will be sampling via 2oz tins first and only reordering when I know I like it. From reading posts on this site it seems like it takes a while for tastes to develop, and even then, they continue to evolve.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
A fellow man of the locks and pipe smoking novice! Welcome, though we probably arrived around the same time (and now I feel even more shameful for not properly introducing myself).

I'd say it was my third or fourth smoke that really worked for me, and still I sometimes have lousy bowls even from a pipe that's satisfied before—moisture seems to be the big difference maker. That first good smoke was indeed with a cob, though my relatively cheap briar (£40) has become my new favourite despite it being utterly awful the first couple of smokes.

Enjoy the new hobby!
Yes Sir. I am learning to embrace the inconsistency and realize that often, the common denominator is me lol. That said, I'm beginning to understand that less is more. Much less "puffing" of the pipe now. The term "ember management" is frequently on my mind. Light the pipe, manage the embers, and continuity ensues. Tobacco enjoyment commences. For an easily distracted mind like mine, pipe-smoking is an exacting, and hugely enjoyable, pastime. May you get (at least) as much from your pipe endeavors, as I do from mine. One Love.

Reactions: anotherbob

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Hahaha, straight VA and Vaper recommendations will be endless from forum members!

VA:
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
MacBaren HH Pure Virginia
GL Pease Union Square
Capstan Blue
Fribourg and Treyer BlackJack
Anything McClelland, especially 40th Anniversary, Xmas Cheer, and black woods flake, but they'll be pricey and hard to find (out of business) but they are the best virginias I've ever had.

Va/per:
Esoterica Dunbar (hard-ish to get)
Peter Heinrichs Curly Block
Escudo
Dunhill (now peterson) Navy Rolls
RO Firestorm
Rattray's Marlin Flake (I would also recommend Old Gowrie and Hal o the Wynd)
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs

Your list is a good start lol. I'll strive to avoid hankering after rare blends for as long as I can.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Welcome! If I could give you the one piece of advice that I wish I'd received as a new pipe smoker, it would be about drying your tobacco.
It is a subjective process because people enjoy different tobacco at different moisture levels. But a good rule of thumb is that if you are having trouble keeping it lit or you're experiencing muted flavors, it's probably too moist. I use the pinch test. Lay a bowls worth of Tobacco out to dry and check on it every 10 minutes or so. Pinch it between your fingers for 3 seconds and let it go. If it sticks to your fingers or falls in a clump, it's probably still to moist. Again this is subjective to your preference and will take some trial and error to find what you like but this one tip solved 75% of the problems I had as a new smoker.
Thanks indeed. Very useful advice. Much appreciated.

Reactions: solideogloria86

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I'd go with Three Nuns.

Not to worry about learning process. You'll do fine.
a tin on the way to me as we speak. thanks for the tip. sought out some (many) reviews on youtube and websites and it appears to be almost universally revered. threw in a tin of hh burley flake and a tin of hh odfk just for giggles.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
There are a myriad of tobaccos available. Eventually you'll probably settle on a certain style of blend. Or maybe not even a blend, for example many smoke just a straight virginia flake.
I recommend Peretti's in Boston. You can get free samples of their tobaccos. They are known as master blenders, as well as being the oldest tobacco shop in the country. IMHO if you never got your tobacco from anywhere else you wouldn't miss anything.
https://www.ljperetti.com/l-j-peretti-tobacco

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Greetings all. Living in Monterey California and learning ember management. I bought a horrible (pipe-shaped) contraption from a local headshop a little over a month ago, but my journey feels more underway now after receiving an order of corn cobs. Both excited and slightly intimidated about learning tobaccos, matching pipes with blends, ghosting, all that sort of stuff. Looking forward to gaining pointers from this site.

I'm right down the road in Sonoma County. Surviving the fires at the moment. Welcome, Uncle Rasta. Glad you joined. Trying to form a pipe-club here. Wish we were closer geographically.

Reactions: UncleRasta

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
oh and try suggestions and see what you think. Sometimes the little things can take your enjoyment to the next level. Like for instance I always bring my water bottle with me. Drinking water seems to increase flavor reduce tongue bite and salivation. Also cobs are cheap because the material is easier to grow in quantity not because they're not as good pipes. I enjoy my briars more but I don't think they're better objectively speaking.
I agree. I love my briars, but there's a certain feeling of comfort with my cobs.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
What timing! I just wrote in another thread that I hoped you weren't near the fires. We just had the first meeting of the West Monterey Pipe and Social Club....

Carmel Pipe Shop, Lincoln St., Carmel, CAView attachment 6082
2 Pipes, 2 Smiles, 2 Hairstyles.

Think y'all can work out who is who in the photo? :)

It was a wonderful meeting in which we had two little fires of our own. jpmcwjr is a true gent, and Carmel Pipe Shop was a welcoming haven.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.