PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska. My sister lived in Monterey for many years. Such an awesome little town with so much history. Being a Steinbeck fan it was that much cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRasta

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Welcome! If I could give you the one piece of advice that I wish I'd received as a new pipe smoker, it would be about drying your tobacco.
It is a subjective process because people enjoy different tobacco at different moisture levels. But a good rule of thumb is that if you are having trouble keeping it lit or you're experiencing muted flavors, it's probably too moist. I use the pinch test. Lay a bowls worth of Tobacco out to dry and check on it every 10 minutes or so. Pinch it between your fingers for 3 seconds and let it go. If it sticks to your fingers or falls in a clump, it's probably still to moist. Again this is subjective to your preference and will take some trial and error to find what you like but this one tip solved 75% of the problems I had as a new smoker.
succinctly put, much appreciated.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Welcome! If I could give you the one piece of advice that I wish I'd received as a new pipe smoker, it would be about drying your tobacco.
It is a subjective process because people enjoy different tobacco at different moisture levels. But a good rule of thumb is that if you are having trouble keeping it lit or you're experiencing muted flavors, it's probably too moist. I use the pinch test. Lay a bowls worth of Tobacco out to dry and check on it every 10 minutes or so. Pinch it between your fingers for 3 seconds and let it go. If it sticks to your fingers or falls in a clump, it's probably still to moist. Again this is subjective to your preference and will take some trial and error to find what you like but this one tip solved 75% of the problems I had as a new smoker.
I have been getting inconsistent results. Sometimes my smokes are pleasant and flavorful, at others, bland, and even horrid.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The Humidor is a nice shop. I visited while on vacation. I was welcomed to hang out and have bowl. I also found a few tins of Esoterica tobacco. Harder to find and excellent.

Enjoy your journey, stay Ire!

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Greetings all. Living in Monterey California and learning ember management. I bought a horrible (pipe-shaped) contraption from a local headshop a little over a month ago, but my journey feels more underway now after receiving an order of corn cobs. Both excited and slightly intimidated about learning tobaccos, matching pipes with blends, ghosting, all that sort of stuff. Looking forward to gaining pointers from this site.
welcome. their are allot of great people here who will help as much as they can including myself. Dont be intimidated corn cobs especially MM are great to start on. pipe smoking takes a bit of patients, just dont give up read articles watch videos and ask questions. their are many ways to do things like packing, and lighting a pipe you just need to try different ways, and find what works best for you.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I might have said this before but I love my cobs, however there are a few blends that seem to taste bland in them. Not sure why especially since it doesn't seem consistent to certain styles of tobacco.... Could just be me.
Learning with every bowl. Fascinating stuff. The cobs are breaking/broken in nicely, and the H.I.S. briar also. Gaining an appreciation of Burley, but no one in my vicinity shares my enthusiasm for Proper English blend. Next Friday I'm looking forward to buying and smoking a straight VA and a VaPer. I have a couple in mind but I am keen to know if any forumites have a recommendation or two.

Reactions: anotherbob

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hahaha, straight VA and Vaper recommendations will be endless from forum members!

VA:
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
MacBaren HH Pure Virginia
GL Pease Union Square
Capstan Blue
Fribourg and Treyer BlackJack
Anything McClelland, especially 40th Anniversary, Xmas Cheer, and black woods flake, but they'll be pricey and hard to find (out of business) but they are the best virginias I've ever had.

Va/per:
Esoterica Dunbar (hard-ish to get)
Peter Heinrichs Curly Block
Escudo
Dunhill (now peterson) Navy Rolls
RO Firestorm
Rattray's Marlin Flake (I would also recommend Old Gowrie and Hal o the Wynd)
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Hahaha, straight VA and Vaper recommendations will be endless from forum members!

VA:
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
MacBaren HH Pure Virginia
GL Pease Union Square
Capstan Blue
Fribourg and Treyer BlackJack
Anything McClelland, especially 40th Anniversary, Xmas Cheer, and black woods flake, but they'll be pricey and hard to find (out of business) but they are the best virginias I've ever had.

Va/per:
Esoterica Dunbar (hard-ish to get)
Peter Heinrichs Curly Block
Escudo
Dunhill (now peterson) Navy Rolls
RO Firestorm
Rattray's Marlin Flake (I would also recommend Old Gowrie and Hal o the Wynd)
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs
Ready for the onslaught. Why do I already feel like cellaring tobacco's I haven't even smoked yet?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Humidor is a nice shop. I visited while on vacation. I was welcomed to hang out and have bowl. I also found a few tins of Esoterica tobacco. Harder to find and excellent.

Enjoy your journey, stay Ire!

Yes, the Humidor is a very classy place. Sometimes Esotericas are there.
The Carmel Pipe Shop is tiny, but rich in history and friendliness. They don't do Esotericas, but are pretty well stocked with other stuff, including their own "965 Mixture" clone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C., and welcome to the "hobby." I find much good information here, reviews of blends, history of pipes and leaf, info on pipes, and so on. We have resident experts on a range of subjects, including some top pro blenders and pipe carvers.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Ready for the onslaught. Why do I already feel like cellaring tobacco's I haven't even smoked yet?
Welcome! That's a slippery slope, cellaring before knowing what your taste's are can be costly. Unless it's anything esoterica, and you can easily resell if you realize it's not for you. There's tons of knowledge and opinions on this site, so buckle up for a great ride!

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
A fellow man of the locks and pipe smoking novice! Welcome, though we probably arrived around the same time (and now I feel even more shameful for not properly introducing myself).

I'd say it was my third or fourth smoke that really worked for me, and still I sometimes have lousy bowls even from a pipe that's satisfied before—moisture seems to be the big difference maker. That first good smoke was indeed with a cob, though my relatively cheap briar (£40) has become my new favourite despite it being utterly awful the first couple of smokes.

Enjoy the new hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.