PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Probably Corynebacterium ammoniagenes urease fermentation. A typical microbe in the tobacco fermentation process.

From the paper below: "During a 2- to 3-week fermentation, periodic shuffling of the tobacco bulk is performed in order to improve bulk homogeneity and avoid overheating. Concomitantly, high ammonia levels are generated, likely by proteolysis and/or other processes, contributing to the characteristic alkaline smoke of Toscano cigars."

Physiology and Biotechnology

Microbial Community Structure and Dynamics of Dark Fire-Cured Tobacco Fermentation​

Michele Di Giacomo1, Marianna Paolino1, Daniele Silvestro1, Giovanni Vigliotta2, Francesco Imperi3,4, Paolo Visca3,4, Pietro Alifano2, and Dino Parente1,*
1British American Tobacco Italia, via Cinthia, 80126 Naples, Italy
2Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche ed Ambientali, Università di Lecce, via Monteroni, 73100 Lecce, Italy
3Dipartimento di Biologia, Università Roma Tre, viale Marconi, 00146 Rome, Italy
4Unità di Microbiologia Molecolare, Istituto Nazionale per le Malattie Infettive I.R.C.C.S. “Lazzaro Spallanzani,” via Portuense, 00149 Rome, Italy

ABSTRACT​

The Italian Toscano cigar production includes a fermentation step that starts when dark fire-cured tobacco leaves are moistened and mixed with ca. 20% prefermented tobacco to form a 500-kg bulk. The dynamics of the process, lasting ca. 18 days, has never been investigated in detail, and limited information is available on microbiota involved. Here we show that Toscano fermentation is invariably associated with the following: (i) an increase in temperature, pH, and total microbial population; (ii) a decrease in reducing sugars, citric and malic acids, and nitrate content; and (iii) an increase in oxalic acid, nitrite, and tobacco-specific nitrosamine content. The microbial community structure and dynamics were investigated by culture-based and culture-independent approaches, including denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and single-strand conformational polymorphism. Results demonstrate that fermentation is assisted by a complex microbial community, changing in structure and composition during the process. During the early phase, the moderately acidic and mesophilic environment supports the rapid growth of a yeast population predominated by Debaryomyces hansenii. At this stage, Staphylococcaceae (Jeotgalicoccus and Staphylococcus) and Lactobacillales (Aerococcus, Lactobacillus, and Weissella) are the most commonly detected bacteria. When temperature and pH increase, endospore-forming low-G+C content gram-positive bacilli (Bacillus spp.) become evident. This leads to a further pH increase and promotes growth of moderately halotolerant and alkaliphilic Actinomycetales (Corynebacterium and Yania) during the late phase. To postulate a functional role for individual microbial species assisting the fermentation process, a preliminary physiological and biochemical characterization of representative isolates was performed.

Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Here are better Photos. For you all. Thank you for all your replies so far!

I’m leaning more towards sugar. Attached is a link to a video on this issue, in which I also mention the potential possibility of sodium acetate crystals from the vinegar casing. I think the ammonia smell could just be a highly concentrated pure-vinegar type smell, the kind that burns the nostrils, combined with the already slightly ammonia smelling Rustica. I have even wondered at times if it couldn’t be a mixture of sugar AND sodium acetate at the same time.

After the link to the video is also a link to the Wikipedia page for sodium acetate.

Thanks everyone!

Sodium acetate - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_acetate

Attachments

• B02C0570-4213-4064-B567-7A85C56C9507.jpeg
    B02C0570-4213-4064-B567-7A85C56C9507.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 62B475F4-E27F-402A-932F-E916C785AC69.jpeg
    62B475F4-E27F-402A-932F-E916C785AC69.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 17EAE637-1E62-4177-817C-AF11519C7487.jpeg
    17EAE637-1E62-4177-817C-AF11519C7487.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 7040E506-FA77-4B7B-A1A8-65B342983D86.jpeg
    7040E506-FA77-4B7B-A1A8-65B342983D86.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022
Western Pennsylvania
Further information about sugar crystals precipitating from acetic acid/vinegar during evaporation over time.

Mixing Sugar and Vinegar - https://www.scientificameriken.com/yr3/print/sugarp.htm

I’m really starting to lean towards sugar at this point, as I’m realizing I’m not sure where the sodium would come from to form sodium acetate. And on second thought, I’m not sure sodium acetate forms by simply evaporating vinegar alone. There would have to be other factors in play. Unless the sodium came from my fingertips, but that’s a heck of a lot of sodium from just skin. I suppose sometimes my hands do sweat. ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My rule of thumb is if it smells like fish, eat it. If it smells like cologne, leave it alone. If you really like the blend, I'd cut away the affected part and smoke the rest of it looks okay. Otherwise, trash it.

Reactions: kcghost and JOHN72
Rustica is certainly not well known for its high sugar content. Hands, on the other hand(no pun intended) are certainly excellent vehicles for fungus transmission. If you rubbed it out with your hands, Occam’s Razor comes to my mind.
Like others have said, this isn’t Esoterica priced tobacco. I would pass on the smoking of it. The world is filled with beneficial and harmless fungi, but get it wrong and the consequences could be severe.

JMHO and YOMV.