9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Can’t lie, I see you guys on here talking about your specific pipes, what series they are, what year, what brand, what maker, what equipment was used, what Johnny Carson said to Dean Martin about the stem on Bing Crosby’s 17th favorite pipe, how the briar was sourced from naked Eskimos in mid-February…

Man I’m doing good to remember where I even bought my pipes. Most of my descriptions go like this…

“And this one is the black one. You can tell, because it’s black.”

“This one has a smooth finish and is reddish. If you look closely, you’ll notice there’s a stem. That’s the part I put in my mouth and draw smoke through.”

“This is one is pure trash. Good thing it only cost me $35.”

“This one has a little carving on the side, and if you put tobacco in it and light it, eventually there’ll be ash in the bowl.”

Then I branch out and get bold with describing a few of my nicer pipes…

“This one is my $200 Nording—“
….{navigates to another website for 30 minutes, searches to find out whatever it’s called and whatever it’s made of so I look like I know what I’m talking about amongst you gentlemen} ….
“—C-3PO. It was made for Ben Kenobi and is the style he smoked aboard a commandeered Star Destroyer during the Clone Wars. It has a—“
…{navigates back to website to figure out what the finish is called}….
“—rusticated finish. I bought this one under extreme duress, as my wife was threatening divorce if I actually spent that much on a pipe.”

I have a hard time remembering catalog numbers, foreign names, and where I left my glasses. But, I think I left my jar of 5200 next to my Peddertian made Neerling pipe with my glasses in the truck. Then, I’ll look on my desk. puffy

Cheap pipes can be beautiful and can be great smokers too. Hell, people post cobs like they’re as proud of them as their kids. Hang in there.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
My pipe reads Peterson. I am so happy for the reminder…lol!
Ha ha right on! My handmade ones where I know the owner are easy because I have spoken to the maker etc. But on my other pipes I have to look on the pipe. The one Savinelli I own I always forget the model number and have to look on the stem.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
To each thier own. Some people buy a grabow and smoke it until it busts. Then buy another. Some people love the hunt and collecting. After 3 years I've settled on 5 pipes. 2 cobs, 2 Gigis, and 1 De Mar. They have thier place in my lineup. Don't need another, not even a desire. Cheers!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@dctune yes there are differences here, of various types of smokers.

Those that simply smoke, and those that are enthusiasts.

I’m sure you’re probably pulling a funny Cosmic post on us. ?

Now I just have to poke at @Chasing Embers for some friendly banter. He’s the only guy I know with such an Enthusiasts Level of a beautiful pipe collection, and knowledge, that he claims he only smokes for the nicotine LOL.

Sometimes I think those Country Gentleman are to shy to admit their feelings! rotf

All respect and love for Chasing! ? ❤️

dctune

@dctune yes there are differences here, of various types of smokers.

Those that simply smoke, and those that are enthusiasts.

I’m sure you’re probably pulling a funny Cosmic post on us. ?

Now I just have to poke at @Chasing Embers for some friendly banter. He’s the only guy I know with such an Enthusiasts Level of a beautiful pipe collection, and knowledge, that he claims he only smokes for the nicotine LOL.

Sometimes I think those Country Gentleman are to shy to admit their feelings! rotf

All respect and love for Chasing! ? ❤️
I guess I’m somewhere in between. But I sure do love the tobacco. And especially when it’s delivered via pipe.

I also noticed you’re in Hawaii. I’m sitting here watching 8 inches of snow trying to melt. So if you know of any job openings, it wouldn’t take much to convince me to pack up my pipes and move to paradise for the next 40 years.

• Haha
Reactions: tklee

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I know how you feel dc, I was in the same boat. I smoked half and half and Prince Albert in dr grabows for years until I sort of accidentally found some erinmore flake in a cigarette store one day. It was the cheapest pipe tobacco he had. I balked at the price initially, but the guy in the store said it was good quality. It was.

I eventually bought all he had, then the nightcap, and on and on till I cleaned him out and realized he didn’t really sell pipe tobacco, he just had some. And everything he had was seriously aged, lol.

I thought all the good tobacco was supposed to have a paper tax stamp on the tin. I tried to find more on the internet, and down the rabbit hole I went. Good times.