PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
While Jim does deserve all the praise he is receiving here, I must point out a couple weaknesses . After all, he might get a big head and slack off on his reviews.

Weakness number one: He can't hit a curve ball.

Weakness number two: He is unable to fry an egg properly.

On the positive side he appears to have a good hair stylist.
"well I say even though he's a great guy he's still a jerk" stole that from Homer Simpson.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for all your helpful reviews, Jim.

Thanks also for helping & feeding feral cats!
Thank you for the compliments. M'lady and I have two cats that we never let go outside. There's four feral cats that come around, and three are very friendly to me. The very shy one is less scared than he was, but lately, he comes over, sits on the back door mat, and waits for me. When I bring him food, he keeps about a five foot distance, and when I go inside, he'll eat. Perhaps in time, he'll learn to trust me more, but at least he doesn't run and hide from me any more.

There used to be a feral rabbit who'd eat baby carrots out of my hand. He used to follow me when I walked in the back yard, too. Haven't seen the little fella in years, but he was a lot of fun.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
While Jim does deserve all the praise he is receiving here, I must point out a couple weaknesses . After all, he might get a big head and slack off on his reviews.

Weakness number one: He can't hit a curve ball.

Weakness number two: He is unable to fry an egg properly.

On the positive side he appears to have a good hair stylist.
You trying to say Jim Amash can't hit a curveball?!

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
Great article! Funny, I've been wondering what Jim, my paragon of reviewers, looked like. I had pictured him a wizened, crusty old gnome who'd been piping since the Forties or so. Thanks so much for posting this sablebrush52.

Reactions: rmpeeps and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great article! Funny, I've been wondering what Jim, my paragon of reviewers, looked like. I had pictured him a wizened, crusty old gnome who'd been piping since the Forties or so. Thanks so much for posting this sablebrush52.
My experience has been people either thought I looked like Edward G. Robinson, or WAS Edward G. Robinson, or was as you thought I was. I'm glad I'm not EGR or I'd have died 48 years ago, and that would have cramped my style.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
If there's one thing to learn from this article its persistance pays. From breaking in to the comic book industry to keeping the Edward G. Robinson blend alive to obtaining a couple pipes previously owned by William Conrad, keep your mind focused on something and it will eventually become a reality.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I wonder what happened to all Edward G. Robinson's pipes? I read he had about 150.

Maybe if you contact his granddaughter, she might still have some???

Sutliff might contact her on your behalf. It'd would be neat to have one!
Unless she kept a few for herself, the pipes were sold many years ago by Robinson's widow. A couple of years ago, 25 of them showed up along with Robinson's pipe cabinet at auction. The pipes were not in good shape, and most of them were not interesting to me.

A year or so before that, I saw four for sale. Only the Comoy's was interesting, but they were all out of my price range.

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
What an excellent article about a guy with whom I'd love to meet and smoke a pipe. I've long folllowed his reviews at tobaccoreviews dot com and admit that he influences me more than anyone else on that forum. One reason I so respect his reviews is that he's objective and without bias. For example, he doesn't smply reject aromatics (or any other type of tobacco) just because they are what they are. Also, he shares with me fond memories of iconic blends such as the original Balkan Sobrainies without rejecting the possibility that what's available today might be as good or even better. It's great to finally place the person with the avatar.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Great article, and quite interesting to say the least. I was drawn to JimInks reviews a long time ago, before I found this forum and always appreciated them and still do. I knew nothing about the comic book career so that is really fascinating to me. I've had a life long love of comics, so it was great reading about Jim's career.