PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@bigvan you're quite welcome sir! They are also called blackthorns because the original ones like mine were made from blackthorn wood. And like mine have a loaded end. Otherwise known as taking the burl/handle end drilling it out and filling it with lead.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
good on you irish! Im am always amazed at the kindness of the people on this forum. You don't find this kindness many other places.

All the best my dear friend!

Gunnar

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Nicest people on the web. Glad to hear the poor boy's mother comes by and tells you how he's doing. The blackthorn in my pic is from Cold Steel, and is a repro made of polypropylene. They used to sell the real ones, but found blackthorn wood hard to get. In good hands it was so dangerous that, during the final British occupation of Ireland, the Brits outlawed it. The Irish said fine and made it a 'walking stick'. The Brits didn't want to outlaw canes, so the Irish got to keep their shillelagh.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@simnettpratt spot on history lad! My blackthorn was passed down the family line from my greatgreatgrandfather who had it in Ireland and his son immigrated here with it.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Irish, great job of a random act of kindness in providing that gentleman with a pipe, tobacco, and the Czech tool. I try to do a random act of kindness every day, but usually they are small, such as holding a door open for someone, so I very much appreciate your efforts and the posting. You had a great opportunity and you did well my friend, the world needs more people like you, it would be a much better place.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Kudos to you Irish!! :clap: That gentleman will remember your random act of kindness everytime he looks at or lights up that pipe... I have an H.I.S. basket pipe that was given to me by a friend after I lost everything in a house fire in 07.. It is still in rotation, and my favorite out and about pipe for gatherings like bar b ques, picnics, etc..

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
that honestly made me tear up. i love to here things like this, it reminds me that this country is still a wonderfull place because of people like you. and thank you for your service irish ( hats off my friend)

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
As someone who strongly believes in "paying it forward", I can say you did the right thing. A random act of kindness is what makes this world a better place step by step.

Status
Not open for further replies.