PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Today was an unseasonably warm day for Indiana. So I donned a flat cap, a waistcoat, my blackthorn, and a book. On my way out I grabbed a pipe and my roll up pouch akin with my favorite book. While sitting at the park enjoying a smoke and my book an older gentleman wandered up and sat next to me. He looked at me and stated "Damn fine day to enjoy a pipe outside!" I stated that I agreed and we continued with small talk about the weather. During this time he kept eyeing my pipe and I could read sadness in his eyes as clear as the page of my book. I finally asked if he smoked a pipe. He said he did but he had lost all his pipes in a house fire last year and couldn't find any in our area to replace them. I was recently gifted a Peterson standard 303 by a member here. I remembered it had cleaned it two days ago and placed it in my peacoat in the car. I politely asked him to wait a second and retrieved it. I gave him that 303 and he began to tear up stating "Son men like you don't exist anymore." I told him we do just look for men that have a pipe in there hand. I gave him my roll up pouch full of tobacco and my Czech tool and bid him goodbye. Now I am above all a Peterson fan and wouldn't have come off my Peterson unless I knew it would go to a good home. Being I only had 4 Pete's I will miss that 303 but it was damn sure worth it.

Aug 1, 2012
How often we miss the opportunities to bring a little happiness to this world. I'm glad we have men like you around Irish.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Men in this forum have bid kindness to me that I didn't know existed anymore. I feel it is my honor to pay it forward.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
flat cap

waistcoat

blackthorn

pouch akin
I think I know what a flat cap is, and a waistcoat is another name for a vest, right? Blackthorn makes parts for AR-15s, but I don't think that's what you took to town. But I have no idea what a "pouch akin" is.

Aug 1, 2012
akin

adjective ə-ˈkin

Definition of AKIN

: related by blood : descended from a common ancestor or prototype

: essentially similar, related, or compatible

EDIT: From Merriam-Webster online dictionary.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
kudos, sir. nicely done.
i'm no young whippersnapper, but being forty-something i find i'm often the youngest (if not the only) guy around with a pipe. whenever a gentleman of advancing years takes any sort of interest in my pipe, i tend to find them to be a current or ex piper and ALWAYS interesting to chat with - no matter who the heck they are. 100% good-people hit rate.
doody.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Irish... what kind of amputation? ... if you dont mind that is.
I just ask, because my son had to have his leg amputated below the knee... so yeah he wears a prosthetic. But he runs all over the damn place :P

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@captainprophecy my leg 3 inches above the knee. Due to muscle loss from an IED in Afghanistan.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Cheers - you're like the NYC police officer that gave that other guy some boots - but you're the pipe version of that.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Outstanding post irish. Weren't you the guy that gave the brand new bicycle to the little poor kid? Here's irish's Blackthorn shillelagh:
Blackthorn.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm familiar with a shillelagh, but "blackthorn" is a new one on me. Thanks, Irish.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@simnettpratt yes I was. That boys mother comes by every now and again to let my know how her son is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.