PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Really great story Al. The Third Man is one of my all time favorite movies. Appropriately enough I first saw it in Vienna over 40 years ago. The marquee screamed Der dritte Mann in all caps; I was lured in and never the same afterwards. To my mind it’s a better film than Citizen Kane and shows what Welles could do when a gifted director was around to limit his worst excesses.
It’s up there for sure! A Touch Of Evil is second to this one.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It's possible, except that the pipe has a CP stem logo, which wasn't used until the mid 1920's and the Frederick era ended in 1910. It's an interesting piece in that it's figural, in a humorous way, which is uncommon for Charatan.

One other thing to know is that the case is not original to the pipe.
Blimey Jesse; not a clue why it took me so long to see, but this is an old horse's hoof shaped pipe.
Someone fitted a replacement stem with a acrylic tenon and I cannot account for what seems to be a somewhat Charatanish' stem logo ! No stamps on the briar .
It more or less fits in the case properly.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Blimey Jesse; not a clue why it took me so long to see, but this is an old horse's hoof shaped pipe.
Someone fitted a replacement stem with a acrylic tenon and I cannot account for what seems to be a somewhat Charatanish' stem logo ! No stamps on the briar .
I guess I need to take another look at that case.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I looked for this shape for a long time, and finally grabbed this one because of the amber hoof and metal horseshoe.

0jDbLu4.jpg

Dec 10, 2013
I looked for this shape for a long time, and finally grabbed this one because of the amber hoof and metal horseshoe.

0jDbLu4.jpg
Lovely pipe Scott. Thank you for partaking in a positive way, I felt a trifle embarrassed .
Mine is of much lesser quality, an entirely different animal ( still a horse ) and I will return it to the seller for a full refund.
Horse's hoof pipes are not thick on the ground.
The seller sold it as a Charatan pipe and I did not recognize it as a hh pipe at first.
The case now seems original and looks similar to yours with its purple lining.
Briar quality is mediocre ( which was more often so with hh pipes ) and the stem is a replacement.
The seller persists it is a Charatan ( that is what they always do, so stupid ) and offered a 25,00 refund.
Accepts returns though.

Dec 10, 2013
Lovely pipe Scott. Thank you for partaking in a positive way, I felt a trifle embarrassed .
Mine is of much lesser quality, an entirely different animal ( still a horse ) and I will return it to the seller for a full refund.
Horse's hoof pipes are not thick on the ground.
The seller sold it as a Charatan pipe and I did not recognize it as a hh pipe at first.
The case now seems original and looks similar to yours with its purple lining.
Briar quality is mediocre ( which was more often so with hh pipes ) and the stem is a replacement.
The seller persists it is a Charatan ( that is what they always do, so stupid ) and offered a 25,00 refund.
Accepts returns though.

A lovely Delacour set in Canada.
Wonderful set of pipes and good presentatation form the seller !
A steal imho.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This freehand Comoy's did well, $760.

and a Virgin grade rare GBD shape.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
This lovely 284 Guildhall (Comoy’s) just sold for about $100.

Are the Guildhalls by Comoy's a decent pipe for about $100 ? I have had my eye on a Canadian Guildhall in fine shape but have hesitated because I didn't know much about that brand.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123