PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Honestly , I don’t trust what any seller says. As a buyer I’ve been burned by that garbage dump.

I purchased a pipe two months ago that I wasn’t concerned if it was confiscated. Just a nice little Peterson to test the waters.

Well, it got confiscated and I received a refund.

I’m a sub sample of one. Anything of value I use cutouts and intermediaries
I found this. Sounds better, but still doesn't resolve the customs confiscation issues that's occurred.

Ebay really created another fine mess. They had GSP and Ebay standard international shipping. The former, Ebay handles all customs duties and the buyer pays one total charge at checkout. The latter the buyer is responsible for duties. With both the seller sends it to a US Ebay address where they consolidate it and deliver it.
Recently they started a new one, Ebay international shipping, which is like GSP, but Ebay handles returns. If the buyer wants to return it for any reason, the seller gets to keep the sale, Ebay handles it. With GSP and Ebay standard international shipping, there is no return path, sellers are on their own. So this new ebay international shipping is a good thing. It's replacing GSP, many sellers have it available already. The stupid thing is that they called it ebay international shipping, which is easily confused with ebay standard international shipping. They should have called it GSP plus, International Advantage or something so that people can tell them apart.
I would try creating a new listing, see if ebay international shipping shows up. Ebay is trying to move sellers to it. Maybe if you call them up, they can make it available.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I found this. Sounds better, but still doesn't resolve the customs confiscation issues that's occurred.

Every seller I’ve contacted said it’s too late once they’ve selected GS

A far easier solution is to let SELLERS know their Pipe or tobacciana sell is PROHIBITED by GS

I deal with this regularly.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on this Eight Dot Straight Grain. It’s by far the most I’ve ever spent on a single pipe but seeing a 8D for sale in the UK is pretty rare, it’s the first I’ve seen anyway and I thought I wouldn’t get another opportunity especially when the condition was taken into consideration. I’m not a Sasieni collector (can’t afford to be) and only started taking notice of the brand recently and I can’t say I know much more than I’ve read on pipedia.
The pipe arrived in great condition, the light stem oxidation was easily taken off with five grades of micro mesh and has no chatter at all, the pipe has been very carefully smoked. The bowl is also in vgc with some light marks as you’d expect for something this old but not visible to the naked eye (not mine anyway) and only needed a light buff with my finest grade pad. The bowl interior had been reamed but again very lightly and carefully smoked and the little buildup was removed in seconds with a fine grade sandpaper.
Marked Straight Grain on the right side (the shape name would be a Bowler I believe in a regular 4/8 Dot) and the usual Sasieni stamps on the other.
I think I got something quite special here, it’s a beautiful pipe and I couldn’t be happier with it. As far as I know the Straight Grain were pretty rare but I’d appreciate any feedback from those of you that know more about the brand that I. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on this Eight Dot Straight Grain. It’s by far the most I’ve ever spent on a single pipe but seeing a 8D for sale in the UK is pretty rare, it’s the first I’ve seen anyway and I thought I wouldn’t get another opportunity especially when the condition was taken into consideration. I’m not a Sasieni collector (can’t afford to be) and only started taking notice of the brand recently and I can’t say I know much more than I’ve read on pipedia.
The pipe arrived in great condition, the light stem oxidation was easily taken off with five grades of micro mesh and has no chatter at all, the pipe has been very carefully smoked. The bowl is also in vgc with some light marks as you’d expect for something this old but not visible to the naked eye (not mine anyway) and only needed a light buff with my finest grade pad. The bowl interior had been reamed but again very lightly and carefully smoked and the little buildup was removed in seconds with a fine grade sandpaper.
Marked Straight Grain on the right side (the shape name would be a Bowler I believe in a regular 4/8 Dot) and the usual Sasieni stamps on the other.
I think I got something quite special here, it’s a beautiful pipe and I couldn’t be happier with it. As far as I know the Straight Grain were pretty rare but I’d appreciate any feedback from those of you that know more about the brand that I. View attachment 265271View attachment 265272View attachment 265273View attachment 265274
It looks like the last Eight Dot, Straight Grain pipe posted here was in 2017 (by member DrBob). So, I would say pretty rare!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I gotta say I’m kinda shocked, this very unremarkable BBB with a very gnarly looking mortis and no stem brought over a $100. 😳

Looking at the bid history shows one very determined and inexperienced buyer.
From the well intended but inept photos, the bowl and chamber look to be in pretty good shape.
The mortise may need redrilling anyway as a lot of these distort with age.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I gotta say I’m kinda shocked, this very unremarkable BBB with a very gnarly looking mortis and no stem brought over a $100. 😳

I think I got something quite special here, it’s a beautiful pipe and I couldn’t be happier with it. As far as I know the Straight Grain were pretty rare but I’d appreciate any feedback from those of you that know more about the brand that I. View attachment 265271View attachment 265272View attachment 265273View attachment 265274
Congratulations; wonderful and unique . Would you mind posting the link to the auction ?

Reactions: greeneyes
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve lost so many to them! Fingers crossed for you!
It’s coming to you through Global Shipping? Ugh.

It’ll be listed as drug paraphernalia and confiscated.

Oh man, I hope yours slips through the cracks, but realistically, expect your refund.
I’ve never actually received any of the pipes I bought that got sent through eBay Global Shipping, just refunds. I hope you get your @TheIronMonkey but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
To clarify the GSP problems are for pipes coming out of UK. The shipping option seems to work as intended from elsewhere.

I’m thrilled to report that the seller just let me know she shipped the pipe via Royal Mail after several back and forth messages that expressed my concerns about the pipe getting seized by Global Shipping. I actually got goosebumps when I read her message a few minutes ago. Thank you, all, for your input and help.

Hopefully, the package actually gets to me and not lost by Royal Mail or the USPS—earlier this year or last year, a 19th Century Ropp pipe got lost when the box opened up at the sorting facility at the Pennsylvania hub, which broke my heart. Fingers crossed.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I’m thrilled to report that the seller just let me know she shipped the pipe via Royal Mail after several back and forth messages that expressed my concerns about the pipe getting seized by Global Shipping. I actually got goosebumps when I read her message a few minutes ago. Thank you, all, for your input and help.

Hopefully, the package actually gets to me and not lost by Royal Mail or the USPS—earlier this year or last year, a 19th Century Ropp pipe got lost when the box opened up at the sorting facility at the Pennsylvania hub, which broke my heart. Fingers crossed.
I've never had any issues with Royal Mail. I think you should be fine. Glad to hear the seller was willing to work with you on the shipping.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I lost one coming into the UK from the US last week. The seller said that was the forth in a row. Grrrr.
And yet, like all true fools, the seller keeps going back to GSP rather than using the Royal Mail, which hasn't failed me yet.

When I see that an auction uses Global Shipping I don't bother to bid, and let the seller know about the issues.