PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
As long as the lockdown holds us in thrall, you may be able to order the HU-tobacco online. However, I do not know the import/export conditions for your country or within the EU. Cigarworld (in Düsseldorf ?) has a pretty large assortment of HU-tobacco. I have ordered from them several times and was always satisfied with the service. You can also get free tobacco samples sent to you.

Back to the thread title: I can't help but dislike this type of charatan pipe and wonder about the high price it has achieved.Who actually confirms what on the card? Well, I only collect Charatans made before 1977 anyway.

There is another one listed now.... not my cup of tea.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
There is another one listed now.... not my cup of tea.

The pipes could all have come from a box labeled ' Puppets for the Punch and Judy Show'. Thanks Don, for the link, now we know that they were carved in 1983, as the certificate says.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV

This one slipped away from me, I didn’t do the math correctly :(. My guess the other pipes would have paid for 75% of the winning bid, balance would be the Barling pot. And it was an ultra rare “old school” ?.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is a bogey not nasal mucus, because that is what this pipe look like to me.
Sorry , not really respectful to the carver I suppose.
I think you're being complimentary with regards to this pipe. Maybe the result is supposed to be crude and look like it was carved by a rabid palsied beaver.
Clearly, at $2300, there's a market for it.

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

This one slipped away from me, I didn’t do the math correctly :(. My guess the other pipes would have paid for 75% of the winning bid, balance would be the Barling pot. And it was an ultra rare “old school” ?.
Yes, there is no rarer model than an "old school" Barling. It's so rare that none was ever made and you can't get rarer than none.

The Barling in this auction is a post war YOW pot.

There are some potentially nice pipes in the lot, nicer than the pig who owned them.

Several, if not all, of the stems have seriously advanced oxidation, so they'll not fit flush when the oxidized material is removed. Re-stemming would be better.

Not too bad an auction result considering the worn condition of the pipes and the crappy photography.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

This was last week an old Ben Wade that I wasnt will to pay much for.
Good gawd! That poor pipe looks like it was being lit using one of those high intensity torch lighters. The bowl walls are crispied, not to mention the fissured rim.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and bent1

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Depends on how you define freeshape.
Looks like a lovat with a huge bowl, needed quite some tlc.
Grain is super.
In principle, I distinguish between 2 forms.
First, models that have a shape number on the shank and are listed in a Charatan catalog or shapelist. The so-called classic models.
Second, the models that do not have a shape number and are not listed on a shapelist or in a catalog. I.e. freehands, handmades, extra large ...
If you have time and are willing, maybe you can post a photo of the pipe in one of the Charatan threads.
The term 'freeshape', I used, was first stamped on Charatans in late 1979/early 1980.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I picked up this Barling Magnum from 1910. While the condition isn't the best, it's still a nice addition to the pile. There are not exactly a lot of Barling Magnums floating around. Bowl height is 3" and length is 9". My 1883 Magnum will have a playmate.

I'll see what I have after I've given it a thorough going over and will probably send it to Georged for a bit of restoration.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up this Barling Magnum from 1910. While the condition isn't the best, it's still a nice addition to the pile. There are not exactly a lot of Barling Magnums floating around. Bowl height is 3" and length is 9". My 1883 Magnum will have a playmate.

I'll see what I have after I've given it a thorough going over and will probably send it to Georged for a bit of restoration.

Smart grab, looks to be in great shape!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Good gawd! That poor pipe looks like it was being lit using one of those high intensity torch lighters. The bowl walls are crispied, not to mention the fissured rim.
Yes I won the pipe and didn't notice how badly and completely burnt out it is. I'm in the process of returning it. Nobody's fault I suppose: the seller isn't a smoker I think.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very nice Jesse.
Query: Do you download and bring out shadows on under exposed images such as this?

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: sablebrush52