PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The inversion. Was the P stamp put on the wrong side, or did some re-bend the bit 180º? It's a bad fit which is what makes me think it was re-bent. Odd anyway.

s-l1600.jpg
yep and if you look the plip is upside down.definitely rebent upside down.Why who knows

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is an absolute bargain, despite the crack .
And I'll just take my chances.
Not 1961, but from 1921 ( if my interpretation is correct ) .

Nice piece. Too bad about the crack. Hallmark is for 1901. French turned bowl, finished by Barling.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since this thread is going on forever, I'll just add that the trouble with auctions is that the focus soon strays from the merchandise and onto the contest of wills, which is why people like to sell at auction. On the other hand, if the buyers are still sleepy, preoccupied, or indifferent, sometimes you can stalk in there and get a good price. Once the emotions warm up, sit on your hands.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you Jesse, you are correct; it is 1901.
The crack is a bloody disgrace , but the case alone is worth it. How made the cases , Barling ?
What is the story on the Tetley pipes ?
Barling made the cases. Tetley was the name of a tobacconist. I don't know if there was any relationship to Tetley teas. Jon Guss might be able to tell you more about Tetley, as he's done quite a bit of research on British tobacconists..

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Barling made the cases. Tetley was the name of a tobacconist. I don't know if there was any relationship to Tetley teas. Jon Guss might be able to tell you more about Tetley, as he's done quite a bit of research on British tobacconists..

Absolutely a link. I don't have time for the story right now, but for those looking for a quickie version see: https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/features/thomas-harding-and-the-lyons-family-history-1.487745. The tobacco and pipe side is of course from our point of view even more interesting, and there is a lot more to say.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
This one was fun to watch. It almost makes me want a straight billiard. Ashton Straight Grains are not common and this one is a Grade 4 out of 6 with a silver cap and spigot. 42 bids placed. 40 grams also makes it appealing, light so much silver!

View attachment 51504
Heck of a pipe! Would love a silver capped spigot.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Last edited:
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It is less than kitsch. When over the top , kitsch can turn into something with an agreeable identity ( if you take my meaning ) .
This almost looks obscene.
I cherish a few Brasenose pipes carved by Colin Lunn and Comoy's.
Much better nose carving :)

Last edited:

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
It is less than kitsch. When over the top , kitsch can turn into something with an agreeable identity ( if you take my meaning ) .
This almost looks obscene.
I cherish a few Brasenose pipes carved by Colin Lunn and Comoy's.
Much better nose carving :)
I remember looking at Paul Bentley's (Astleys) extremely rare collection of carved meerschaums. Incidentally, Paul, whilst running the Astley's shop, had also worked on the rostrum at Sothebys. He showed me the best indicator he uses to differentiate between a very good carved meerschaum and the absolute finest carved meerschaum. He showed me one of a carved head of a Victorian woman and said 'if you look at the nose, you can see that under the nostrils how polished this part is'. It was beautifully polished and in fact, all the recesses of the 'cut marks' of the carving were polished incredibly well so no cut marks were visible. It was breath-taking - I was blown away. He said this was his most valuable antique meerschaum. He also showed me his ceramic pipe made by Picasso.
By saying this Charatan, in my opinion, is kitsch, I do not want to offend anyone who likes this type of 'quality' carving. I am just saddened to witness the downward trend Charatan was taking after the Dunhill takeover. Rather than using the word kitsch, I would call it 'cheap junk'. Tyrolean pipe carvers' work was, in general, much better quality.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is exactly the word that came to my mind! These types of pipes had to be aimed at tourists visiting London. Did any real pipe enthusiast seek these out via their local Charatan dealers (I'd be "no"). I do have some Tyrloean carvings that my father collected (we visted Oberamdergau a lot in the 70's), and I agree with that statement as well.

By saying this Charatan, in my opinion, is kitsch, I do not want to offend anyone who likes this type of 'quality' carving. I am just saddened to witness the downward trend Charatan was taking after the Dunhill takeover. Rather than using the word kitsch, I would call it 'cheap junk'. Tyrolean pipe carvers' work was, in general, much better quality.