PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Foyle's War...my all-time favorite! Really enjoyed Midsomer Murders and Inspector Lewis as well. I'm looking forward to going through the Morse series if only I can get my wife to stop watching her "real crime" shows for a while! Say...should I be worried that so many of them are about wives taking out their husbands?!

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Endeavor was/is way, way better than Morse. I always found John Thaw as Morse something of a bumbling character who was totally useless at scoring with the ladies with his corny approach.

The script, the acting and the storylines were far better though a couple of the episodes stretched credibility somewhat.

I believe Shaun Evans (Endeavor) actually directed or produced some of the latter episodes.

Did anyone else get the in joke in the 1st episode of Endeavor where he meets journalist miss Fraizil for the first time?

After they finish chatting about something, he is about to walk away & she says "haven't we met before?" and he looks her up & down and says "no, I don't think so" to which she says "perhaps in another life then". The joke being she is the real life daughter of John Thaw who played Morse!

Regards,

Jay.
I always found it amusing that the Morse / John Thaw character was a quasi ladies man in the series. It gives hope to us old guys!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Only British TV shows I watched regularly were Benny Hill Show and Flying Circus. Must've been back when I was in junior high. Black Adder, Mr. Bean and others do ring a bell, but wasn't very funny to me.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Only British TV shows I watched regularly were Benny Hill Show and Flying Circus. Must've been back when I was in junior high. Black Adder, Mr. Bean and others do ring a bell, but wasn't very funny to me.

Yea, those shows are good when you're 12 but we are talking about adult shows.

Reactions: bullet08
Jan 27, 2020
I found my new favorite British detective show. Pie in the Sky which manages to combine food with police procedural type stuff. Has a lot more nuance / character development and realistic feel than Midsomer, etc. Anyone else here watch it?

• Love
Reactions: edger