PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I'm so glad there's people here that love this kind of scene. Been watching Foyle's War on Amazon lately, and really have been enjoying it. I need to get around to Morse, as it's been on my britbox watchlist for a year. But Endevour needs its latest two seasons watched first,then to finishing Poirot.

Reactions: RonB
Jan 27, 2020
I do know Red Dwarf although it’s not a favorite. I grew up in Canada and I can’t remember if I watched it on American PBS or on a Canadian channel.

I looking forward to checking out

I do know Red Dwarf although it’s not a favorite. I grew up in Canada and I can’t remember if I watched it on American PBS or on a Canadian channel.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to checking out Morse and some of the others mentioned I this thread
Thanks again.

SCTV BABY!

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Little of topic but still related to shows from the UK.

Doctor Who was one of my favorite BBC shows until the show runners decided to screw it up a couple of years ago. I don't mind the Doctor being a woman, but it was the scripts and deciding to make too many episodes of social commentary that put me off. I also didn't like the actor picked to play the Doctor. She played to much as a clown for my taste.

I thought it would have been better to bring in Alex Kingston or Jenna Coleman to be the Doctor. I also think John Barrowman would be good in the Doctor role.
Little of topic but still related to shows from the UK.

Doctor Who was one of my favorite BBC shows until the show runners decided to screw it up a couple of years ago. I don't mind the Doctor being a woman, but it was the scripts and deciding to make too many episodes of social commentary that put me off. I also didn't like the actor picked to play the Doctor. She played to much as a clown for my taste.

I thought it would have been better to bring in Alex Kingston or Jenna Coleman to be the Doctor. I also think John Barrowman would be good in the Doctor role.
I agree with your assessment of recent Doctor Who.I have heard that they are bringing some of the series best script writers back for the new series so Iam hopeful, but we don’t want any of those weeping angels back?

Reactions: RonB
Jan 27, 2020
So... I finished Morse and Endeavor a while ago. Loved both but prefer Endeavor. Couldn't get into Lewis, he was a great sidekick but not a compelling lead in my opinion. Anyways, discovered Midsomer Murders the other day and going full in animal style. What a twisted perverse show. Only the British could pull off such a series!

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
So... I finished Morse and Endeavor a while ago. Loved both but prefer Endeavor. Couldn't get into Lewis, he was a great sidekick but not a compelling lead in my opinion. Anyways, discovered Midsomer Murders the other day and going full in animal style. What a twisted perverse show. Only the British could pull off such a series!
Endeavor may well be the most well put together show I’ve ever seen.

Jan 27, 2020
Endeavor may well be the most well put together show I’ve ever seen.

I agree but could also say that about a few other British shows. My favorite character from Endeavor is actually Superintendent Bright and often happy to see Anton Lesser who plays him popping up in other shows.

Reactions: RonB and jpberg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Endeavor was/is way, way better than Morse. I always found John Thaw as Morse something of a bumbling character who was totally useless at scoring with the ladies with his corny approach.

The script, the acting and the storylines were far better though a couple of the episodes stretched credibility somewhat.

I believe Shaun Evans (Endeavor) actually directed or produced some of the latter episodes.

Did anyone else get the in joke in the 1st episode of Endeavor where he meets journalist miss Fraizil for the first time?

After they finish chatting about something, he is about to walk away & she says "haven't we met before?" and he looks her up & down and says "no, I don't think so" to which she says "perhaps in another life then". The joke being she is the real life daughter of John Thaw who played Morse!

Regards,

Jay.

Jan 27, 2020
I actually started with Morse and stopped a few episodes in watched Endeavor and went back and finished Morse. They are interesting companion pieces as Endeavor pretty much lays out how he turned into a bitter old(er) man and I couldn't help but to look back on my own life while watching and see how certain disappointments, etc., have shaped my own personality, for better or worse.

Jan 27, 2020
Midsomer Murders is a lot of fun. And as it was in production for so many years it goes through a sort of evolution along the way.

A bit different, but still beautifully realized is Father Brown, another classic British classic in the tradition of the amateur village sleuth.

I watch Father Brown on and off as a sort of detox. My girlfriend and I often wonder how that small village has any people left after so many murders..

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Midsomer Murders is a lot of fun. And as it was in production for so many years it goes through a sort of evolution along the way.

A bit different, but still beautifully realized is Father Brown, another classic British classic in the tradition of the amateur village sleuth.
I really enjoyed Kenneth More as Father Brown.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

Big +1 to all this. If it's your jam, the good news is that there's LOTS of it. 👍