Inherited Pipes and Tobacco, Not Sure What to do...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@SgtPiper73

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

One thing that would help, if you took pictures of the tobacco, just small samples of each laid out, then some of the members will be able to give you a rough idea of what you are dealing with, also if you can describe a few of the smells you notice with each.

Then we might know whether you have as example some Aromatics, English, Virginia, etc...

Also some pics of the pipes, especially the inside of the bowl to see the condition to help you, if they need a good clean up.

Reactions: Jacob74

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Wow, ya'll rock. What a welcoming bunch.

It's unfortunate, but where I come from I don't have a pipe tobacco store. I don't know anybody around here that smokes a pipe, much less owns one for tobacco purposes.

You've all given me much sage advice. I really appreciate it. I've tried forums before with varied results. This is the best reception I've received in any of them to date. They say pipe smokers are a great bunch and when you meet another one you're almost assured to find a kindred spirit.

So far, that seems to be the truth. Please keep the advice coming and recommend any other portions of this forum you think I might benefit from, please. There's so much info here (and elsewhere), I'd spend a considerable amount of time sifting through it all and might miss the golden nuggets.

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
It’s a great hobby. Welcome!

There is so much advice I could give you, but I’ll just say start by watching Muttnchop Piper videos on YouTube. He will give you a great foundation, and many of the newer pipe smokers started out by watching his videos.
Yes, Muttnchop Piper has been a real asset. I've already watched a great many of his videos. I like his style very much. Besides, anybody who likes Tolkein and fantasy novels that much can't be all that bad...

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I second the cob suggestion as a starting place. Agree also with the advice not to overthink things too much. You will learn as you go. You have time. So sit back and live in the moment. That's what pipe smoking gives us. It forces us to slow down. Once you get the bowl going, remember to slowly sip. Sipping allows you to learn what the different varieties of tobacco will show us. It's a journey, not a race.

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I agree with much of the above advice! I'd say for sure start with a cob. I'd also advise picking a tobacco from the bunch that smells the most like tobacco or even a campfire in the container and less like fruits or dessert scents. The less added flavoring, the less technique they will take to enjoy.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ghosting is not so much of an issue if you duly clean your pipe after smoking and don't build the (in)famous cake.

None of my pipes are ghosted and I smoke all kinds of different blends in them.

That's one reason I don't buy used pipes, because I can't know the previous owner's habits or vices. With your current stable, though, you'll have to evaluate. If they have cakes, first order of restoration would be a full reaming.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Wow, ya'll rock. What a welcoming bunch.

It's unfortunate, but where I come from I don't have a pipe tobacco store.

That’s not a problem, welcome to the Internet! rotf

4D5503EC-499D-4415-AE60-76C8EEEAAC0E.jpeg

Here’s a small sample of places....

Boswell’s

Cup O’ Joes

Ken Byron Ventures

LePipe.it - I highly recommend (Fast shipping too!)

PipeStud’s

Smokingpipes

The Country Squire

The Pipe Nook

Watch City

Aloha! ? ☀️ ?

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
I second the cob suggestion as a starting place. Agree also with the advice not to overthink things too much. You will learn as you go. You have time. So sit back and live in the moment. That's what pipe smoking gives us. It forces us to slow down. Once you get the bowl going, remember to slowly sip. Sipping allows you to learn what the different varieties of tobacco will show us. It's a journey, not a race.

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Tracking, thank you!

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
That’s not a problem, welcome to the Internet! rotf

View attachment 61697

Here’s a small sample of places....

Boswell’s

Cup O’ Joes

Ken Byron Ventures

LePipe.it - I highly recommend (Fast shipping too!)

PipeStud’s

Smokingpipes

The Country Squire

The Pipe Nook

Watch City

Aloha! ? ☀️ ?
Thanks a lot, these will certainly come in handy...

Reactions: Jacob74 and PipeIT

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m appalled at the lack of clear advice you’ve been given. Everyone knows if you want to smoke a pipe , you just need to follow the 187 easy steps. 1-183 overthink and second guess your every move. Step 184 Make site your tobacco is dry. Step 185 Pack your pipe, just do your best. Step 186 light your pipe. Step 187 Relax, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

This takes practice and a little perseverance.

You’ll get the hang of it. Smoking a pipe is a process. Any process takes practice.

So relax, you’ll find your groove.

Also welcome to the Forum and congratulations on taking the first step. Now light the damn pipe

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
I’m appalled at the lack of clear advice you’ve been given. Everyone knows if you want to smoke a pipe , you just need to follow the 187 easy steps. 1-183 overthink and second guess your every move. Step 184 Make site your tobacco is dry. Step 185 Pack your pipe, just do your best. Step 186 light your pipe. Step 187 Relax, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

This takes practice and a little perseverance.

You’ll get the hang of it. Smoking a pipe is a process. Any process takes practice.

So relax, you’ll find your groove.

Also welcome to the Forum and congratulations on taking the first step. Now light the damn pipe
hilarious, thanks much...and accurate too

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Welcome to the site. Agree with the notion of getting a beater pipe off ebay and starting your refurbishing career there so you don't accidently do something to a pipe that matters.

If you aren't all that emotionally attached, or one is really ugly and you have others you care about more, start there.

The tobacco should be fine if it was jarred or in original tins. Pics will help with an estimation of it's condition.

Congrats on getting into this, condolences on the loss of whomever left these to you.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you for the recommendations and condolences. He is deeply missed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Wow, that was quick. My first response, thanks!

Yep, I'm all in. I think I'm gonna be with pipe and tobacco till the end now. I certainly don't want to sell anything - too much sentimental value. Have watched/digested a ton of estate pipe refurb vids, etc. I'll follow their advice on the cleaning/maintaining bit, too easy.

And yes, I'll definitely stick around and read more from this forum. As for what to smoke from a briar pipe and whether smoking multiple blends from the same pipe, any help there, please? I read elsewhere here that many suggest only smoking certain blends/genres from one pipe, but I have no idea how to decipher that with the little info I have to go off of. Will it hurt anything if I try multiple tobaccos from the same bowl while observing all the rules on rotation, dry out between uses, cleaning, etc., please?
Call a local tobacconist and ask if they could help if you brought the tobaccos to them.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Hello SgtPiper,

if you can't swim, you can't just learn it theoretically on the beach. For that you have to go into the water. So grab any of those pipes, clean it, fill it with tobacco and smoke it. The good news is, you can't drown and then think and ask what you can possibly do better.

Welcome aboard.