Inherited Pipes and Tobacco, Not Sure What to do...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hey ya'll, I'm definitely a new pipe smoker (like I haven't smoked one bowl yet) and I already have a problem...not sure how/where to start. I inherited a mixture of briar and cob pipes and 14-15 different types of tobacco. I've read tons of articles, books, and watched more than my fair share of pipe and tobacco videos. Is ghosting a thing? Just read the entire thread here on ghosting and opinions vary a great deal. I have no idea which tobaccos were smoked in which pipes. I don't even know what the different tobaccos are (but they all smell great). No names on the containers and the surviving family member doesn't know either. All the tobaccos look different, some light, some dark, some mixed, etc. (one does smell like cherries, however).

What are your recommendations for me, please? I know I might be opening myself up to a lot of suggestions and questions, but I'm hoping one or more of ya'll will help sort me out. Much obliged, greatly appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Depends what you want to do.

If you want to get into pipes, I'd clean one of the briar pipes up and stick around here and ask questions. Cleaning estates is really fun and rewarding. You might like it.

Conversely, you could put the pipes on eBay and see if there are any bites.

The tobacco if stored properly should be good to go for your own use, or contact a reputable online vendor (like our own @pipestud)

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Depends what you want to do.

If you want to get into pipes, I'd clean one of the briar pipes up and stick around here and ask questions. Cleaning estates is really fun and rewarding. You might like it.

Conversely, you could put the pipes on eBay and see if there are any bites.

The tobacco if stored properly should be good to go for your own use, or contact a reputable online vendor (like our own @pipestud)
Wow, that was quick. My first response, thanks!

Yep, I'm all in. I think I'm gonna be with pipe and tobacco till the end now. I certainly don't want to sell anything - too much sentimental value. Have watched/digested a ton of estate pipe refurb vids, etc. I'll follow their advice on the cleaning/maintaining bit, too easy.

And yes, I'll definitely stick around and read more from this forum. As for what to smoke from a briar pipe and whether smoking multiple blends from the same pipe, any help there, please? I read elsewhere here that many suggest only smoking certain blends/genres from one pipe, but I have no idea how to decipher that with the little info I have to go off of. Will it hurt anything if I try multiple tobaccos from the same bowl while observing all the rules on rotation, dry out between uses, cleaning, etc., please?

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Howdy SgtPiper. An 'easy' suggestion is to pick a cob in decent shape (and sanitize it) and just try any tobacco thats appears fit to smoke. Getting flavor from pipe smoking comes with technique; cobs are great vehicles to start with (and continue with!). You mention things like ghosting, etc....again with a cob I'd just concentrate on picking up cadence/technique. If you have specific questions on technique, easier to specify as you try. Pipe tobacco is something that the lore will have you worrying about 50 things before you start....but in practice it's neurosis overload. Get some practice on a cob and you'll quickly narrow down what is an actual concern to you.

If you question is more 'is the pipe/tobacco in OK shape?', pictures are a good place to start. Similarly if you're wondering if the pipes are of value...pics are the thing.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you are going in whole hog, maybe get a beater pipe to restore first. If your pipes have sentimental value you want to do it right.

Ghosting is a term used to describe lingering smells and tastes that work their way into a pipe. If you keep yours clean its not really an issue, at least for me. There are several good ways to clean your pipe.

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Howdy SgtPiper. An 'easy' suggestion is to pick a cob in decent shape (and sanitize it) and just try any tobacco thats appears fit to smoke. Getting flavor from pipe smoking comes with technique; cobs are great vehicles to start with (and continue with!). You mention things like ghosting, etc....again with a cob I'd just concentrate on picking up cadence/technique. If you have specific questions on technique, easier to specify as you try. Pipe tobacco is something that the lore will have you worrying about 50 things before you start....but in practice it's neurosis overload. Get some practice on a cob and you'll quickly narrow down what is an actual concern to you.

If you question is more 'is the pipe/tobacco in OK shape?', pictures are a good place to start. Similarly if you're wondering if the pipes are of value...pics are the thing.
You hit it on the head with the info overload, worrying about 50 things before I start, and probably forming some sort of pipe-based neurosis in the process :)

I don't think anything in the collection is of significant value. The family member I inherited them from was notoriously frugal. Nor do I think any of the tobaccos were hugely expensive, but all components are very well maintained. It seems for him, being frugal and taking care of what you've got so it will last you a lifetime is something he literally took with him to the grave - I can appreciate that (I think that's why I got the collection).

I've read elsewhere that cobs afford a clean, cool smoke, so that gives them a hand up on the briars, for now, I reckon. He got his smoking supplies from all over, while traveling, and from multiple online sources. Will be very difficult to trace anything back to its original source.

But I'm really looking forward to making this work! Thanks again.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Great questions and concerns @SgtPiper73, all of relevance and significance to a pipe smoker. As a pipe smoker approaching a year and a half (aka noob), the best advice I can offer is that you don't need all those answers immediately. As @jerseysam suggested, start smoking one of the cobs, sampling the blends. Alot of the other stuff doesn't really make much sense until you stop scorching the heck out of your tongue, and begin to taste a little more. Patience and perseverance will be well rewarded methinks.

SgtPiper73

Lurker
Jan 22, 2021
Great questions and concerns @SgtPiper73, all of relevance and significance to a pipe smoker. As a pipe smoker approaching a year and a half (aka noob), the best advice I can offer is that you don't need all those answers immediately. As @jerseysam suggested, start smoking one of the cobs, sampling the blends. Alot of the other stuff doesn't really make much sense until you stop scorching the heck out of your tongue, and begin to taste a little more. Patience and perseverance will be well rewarded methinks.
Absolutely. I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. Methinks I've perhaps overthunk this too much. I appreciate your reply!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the site. Agree with the notion of getting a beater pipe off ebay and starting your refurbishing career there so you don't accidently do something to a pipe that matters.

If you aren't all that emotionally attached, or one is really ugly and you have others you care about more, start there.

The tobacco should be fine if it was jarred or in original tins. Pics will help with an estimation of it's condition.

Congrats on getting into this, condolences on the loss of whomever left these to you.

Welcome aboard.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd get a brand new pipe and learn the ropes with it. It might even be a cob. That way you'll develop a taste for the flavours without ghosting being an issue. If you're about to start smoking a pipe, it's best you come to it with a clean slate.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Ghosting is a real thing. Always clean a used pipe as you never really know what was smoked in it before. I would highly recommend finding a brick and mortar near you to see if they can mentor you in the ways of pipe lore. The Chicago Club gives away used pipes and new cobs as a way of mentoring the new comers.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
For hundreds of years, gruff, half blind old men with 8 fingers have haphazardly stuffed plant matter into a bowl and lit it.

Everything else is ceremony and pretense! nnnn

Welcome to the forum. Start with a cob. They are cheap and forgiving. Try all of the tobaccos until you find one you like.

Pack it looser than you think you should at first.
Dry it longer than you think you should at first.
Smoke it slower than you think you should at first.

Yes, it will "go out" a bunch while you get your groove, but that's better than scorched tongue.

MTFBWY!

1611362354637.jpeg

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Wow, that was quick. My first response, thanks!

Yep, I'm all in. I think I'm gonna be with pipe and tobacco till the end now. I certainly don't want to sell anything - too much sentimental value. Have watched/digested a ton of estate pipe refurb vids, etc. I'll follow their advice on the cleaning/maintaining bit, too easy.

And yes, I'll definitely stick around and read more from this forum. As for what to smoke from a briar pipe and whether smoking multiple blends from the same pipe, any help there, please? I read elsewhere here that many suggest only smoking certain blends/genres from one pipe, but I have no idea how to decipher that with the little info I have to go off of. Will it hurt anything if I try multiple tobaccos from the same bowl while observing all the rules on rotation, dry out between uses, cleaning, etc., please?
I can't offer much advice except keep that Aromatic (cherry) to its own pipe. You will taste that cherry in other blends if you mix that into different pipes.