PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperow21

Lurker
Sep 1, 2019
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen!

I inherited a large great grandfather and grandfather collection.

I went to the local tobacco shop and bought a bag of bourbon flavored pipe tobacco, loaded the most interesting and stylish pipes have, and lighted it. I don’t know what I’m doing. But, I’m trying.

The store brand bourbon tobacco is not very satisfying. I believe I need a decent “blend” to actually enjoy the sport. Some of my pipes are over 100 years old. Some are in bad shape; some have never been smoked through. I’ve been reading about restoring and cleaning. As I spend more time in the forums, I’m learning what the correct way to go about such things. I will greatly appreciate any and all advice from members. I’m looking forward to enjoying this pastime as my forefathers have. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your party.

-piperow21

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
We're going to need detailed pictures of all of your pipes so we can inspect them and judge them.
Questions you may have will have most definitely been discussed ad nauseum, so feel free to dive in to the archives.
Welcome. :puffpipe:

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Welcome, dont worry about not knowing what your doing, just do some research and practice, Just remember to enjoy yourself that's what pipe smoking is all about, at least to me.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Word of advice, don't "learn" on potentially valuable and collectable pipes. Most "mistakes" cannot be reversed; it's very easy to turn treasure into trash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These are legacy pipes, so though it may seem obvious, I'd urge you not to overdo restoration on them. You don't want them to look like they are right off the pipe shop wall, unless that's the way the unsmoked ones look already. Brighten up the finishes but don't use abrasives, stains, etc., and don't remove the finish that's there. It sounds as if you already have reverence for these wonderful legacies, but heavy-handed fixing up of pipes gives us all bad dreams. It sounds like a wonderful inheritance. Take your time learning about blends. Try in small quantities for several years. Your tastes will change so don't stock up even one the ones you love. Save the ones you don't like sealed in jars, and try them in a year. Try different genres, non-aromatic and aromatic -- English, Virginia/Perique, plain Virginia, Balkan, burley, etc. etc. Do hours of window shopping in the tobacco page of online retailers paying attention to cuts, constituent tobaccos, and so on. Take it as a sport and pleasure; that's the idea. If you're not having fun, it won't work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, photos, please!!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just wait two days and the new site promises easier photo posting.
Also, DO NOT try to restore anything that old without asking for free advice AFTER you post photos.
You'd be amazed at how little effort it takes to destroy a pipe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Welcome Piperow.

Well aren't you the lucky one. Legacy pipes from your grandfather and great-grandfather.

How many of us would cherish a pipe from our grandfathers.
Some really good advice here. Although I've learnt quite a bit about restoring pipes since finding pipe forums and I've got some experience under my belt, there's no way I'd even attempt to restore a legacy pipe. [Nor an expensive pipe for that matter]

I would clean them since learning the correct way, yes. Restore no.
Most of us started off with aromatics because they sound so good; who doesn't love the sound of Buttered Rum or Vanilla Creme for example? But overly sweet and moist aromatics have a tendency to burn ones mouth.
As suggested, buy yourself a range of tobacco's from different genres. Bulk blends that one can purchase just 1oz at a time.

Never throw out tobacco. Tastes do change over time. Blends that you really dislike can be gifted or traded with others.
You'll be offered all sorts of tobacco recommendations.

I'm an inhaler who was terribly addicted to nicotine when I smoked cigarettes until I switched to a pipe over 8 years ago.

This is why I now choose blends that are no stronger than mild to medium with little to mild nicotine levels.

Experienced smokers who don't inhale often tend to go for much stronger blends.

So one mans meat can be another mans poison [Seriously, many of the stronger blends would do me in, lol]
One milder blend that is very popular across the board is Orlik Golden Sliced. It's a great blend for newbies and long time smokers alike.
A great resource for helping one to choose blends is TobaccoReviews.com. One gentlemans reviews that I've learned to trust that has been a huge help in deciding on which tobacco's to choose is our very own JimInks reviews.
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome. Good luck with the pipes.
As for tobaccos, I suggest trying blends in a few different styles or genres.
Smoking Pipes Top Selling English Blends

Top Selling VA-based blends

Burley-based blends

Best selling Aromatics
The McClelland and Dunhill tobaccos are no longer available from the list of English blends, but the others are well worth your attention.
Tobacco Reviews is another great resource, as you can sort blends by a bunch of different criteria. I'd look for highly rated blends that are listed as medium or full in flavor. Mild or light in nicotine is fine, and maybe desirable if you don't have much of a tolerance, but I don't suggest blends that are mild in flavor for newer smokers. There's a ton of great tobaccos out there, and exploring them is my favorite part of pipe smoking

piperow21

Lurker
Sep 1, 2019
Thank you! I welcome all of your experience, advice, and opinions! I hope I’ve not damaged any of these relics due to my inexperienced use! When I was handed my collection, all of them were jumbled into a plastic tote, unprotected, and forgotten about on a barn shelf. I have approximately 30 of them. Well, 30 that have stems. I gave at least 15 more that lack their stems. Along with the units, there were three display racks with glass and hardwood humidors. It seems that more than a few of these pipes are very old and have not been smoked through. I’m elated that I have inherited this hobby that is so rich in family history, steeped in culture, and can be satisfying and enjoyable; being filled with classic gentlemanly taste. Pics to follow! As soon as I figure that out. -piperow21

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nor me.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Pipe,

First off, welcome to the forum! The only thing that stuck out from your origina post is that you tried a bourbon flavored blend. I have tried some bourbon blends and a bourbon/whisky cigar and almost threw up! They are no good. Like the other men here have already told you, be careful with fully restoring some of those pipes. I bought a dunhill from a good friend a few weeks before he passed and all I did was clean up the bowl and sanitized the pipe but left the finish and the slight charring intact. It smokes great and has a bit of character to it!
Good luck with your smoking journey and let us know if you need any help. That’s what we are here for!

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
Welcome aboard and enjoy those pipes. just think of all the things those pipes have heard through the years. The changes the world has gone through while being clenched by a lost loved one. What a blessing to have such treasures. To share a little part of that history.

Status
Not open for further replies.