PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JVR 090

Lurker
Mar 17, 2023
1680119619177.png
Good day, I have found this pipe with a lot of other I bought a while back but it is unfamiliar to me, does anybody have any information on this type of pipe and the materials used in making it and the quality of it?
any information would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well, well.... a good many years ago, I helped one Dr. Billie Taylor compile his history of The Pipe. While it's long since inactive (and, to be honest, I'm not certain whether the good doctor is even still living), you can find it here: Billie W. Taylor II, Ph.D. Pipe Collector - http://thepipe.info/. It's an old website so the interface is a bit clunky. At the top navigation, start by clicking on "History."

But, to answer your question more directly, I had one in my collection that I smoked from time to time. I can't recall what happened to it. I may have used it as a doorstop at one point. There's nothing wrong with them, except some (including me) find they smoke a bit hot. On the upside, when it gets dirty, you can put it in your dishwasher.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I have one I paid about $5 for. Makes a great taster for trying/comparing new blends, as it's easy to clean out afterward and thus won't ghost. They'd be great for heavy wet weather as they're indestructible, but I'm fine with only one.

Reactions: elvishrunes

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Dr. Billie Taylor's webpage lists the 6 he's still looking for to complete his collection, in case anyone runs into them
1680145801592.png

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I have one. I seldom smoke it because it does get hot. It's a decent pipe for using around the yard because if it falls out of your mouth or your pocket it isn't going to break and if it does who gives a shit. You probably could use it to pound nails with (just kidding). "The Pipe" along with other man made material pipes are cheap and not in the same league as briar.

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
I smoked one for a little while. Unfortunately, it never worked for me: it always tasted like if I was smoking an ashtray. It was a red billiard and I loved the way it looked, but ended up giving it to a friend that collected pipes made of different materials. Tried to develop a cake in it but never could.