PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
As I said, I'm kind of in the same boat as you, as far as cellaring is concerned. 45 years worth of tobacco is probably enough to get me there...I'll get around to doing a proper inventory one of these days. I stopped counting about 4 years ago around 40 lbs, before I really started stocking up on bulks. But I wonder...how smokeable is much of that baccy going to be in 45 years? I suspect I won't be able to buy tobacco in coming decades, or pipes for that matter, because regulations, import fees, inflation etc. etc. are all moving in a single direction. Hopefully what I have cellared doesn't turn to dust before I have a chance to smoke it all. Otherwise, if I can't get baccy in my senior years, I guess I'll have to quit. That's kind of my point with the OP. There's a motivation to stock up, not only on baccy, but pipes as well. The sooner the better. But current factors are already making it cost prohibitive. I hope those of you who live in the U.S. and enjoy our harmless little hobby are aware how good you have it, at least at the moment. Let freedom reign!
That's a legitimate concern that I sometimes ponder, being a fellow Canadian. We are headed in the direction of Australia and their $140 tin prices and import fees/bans on anything tobacco related. I don't think any of the tobacco will be unsmokable within the 50 year mark, given its in jars or sealed tins. Christ, 30 year old tins of McClelland are fetching insane prices and they just keep selling and selling, and apparently getting better and better with more age. I wouldn't be concerned about it turning to dust in your lifetime

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Other than the dwindling number of tobacco friendly areas, some communities are already at a point where you can't even smoke in your own home or car. Fewer places even carry modest OTC blends and many places are starting to include nicotine tests on drug tests for work and insurance. Not quite as free as you may imagine.
Yes I've heard some companies are basing health insurance benefits on the results of a nicotine test, wonder how long one needs to abstain to come up negative for nicotine?

Cigarstopipes

Lurker
Sep 19, 2022
Other than the dwindling number of tobacco friendly areas, some communities are already at a point where you can't even smoke in your own home or car. Fewer places even carry modest OTC blends and many places are starting to include nicotine tests on drug tests for work and insurance. Not quite as free as you may imagine.
Wait what? Where in holy hell are you not allowed to smoke in your own house? And how in the fk is it even enforceable??

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I don't think any of the tobacco will be unsmokable within the 50 year mark, given its in jars or sealed tins. Christ, 30 year old tins of McClelland are fetching insane prices and they just keep selling and selling, and apparently getting better and better with more age. I wouldn't be concerned about it turning to dust in your lifetime
The price for McClelland tins is based mostly on mystique. It's just tobacco. Just because someone is willing to sell a kidney to buy a tin doesn't mean it's inherently better than any other tobacco. I have some 20 year old No. 24 Virginia that is very good, but that doesn't guarantee all the tobacco I have in jars and tins is going to be good in 50 years. The way I understand it, just like wine, tobacco has a peak followed by a long slow decline. Whether it becomes "unsmokable", well, I started out on Rothmans King Size back in the day, and those were definitely unsmokeable, but...I smoked them. If I live long enough and my health holds up I'll probably be smoking 45 year Pegasus one day. I'll let you know if it's still smokeable.

• Haha
Reactions: Elric

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pollyanna speaking here. My 9-10 dollar tins are all 30-50% higher than they were in 2012. My pounds of bulk Samuel Gawith flakes cost me 52-55 a pound, not a half a pound like it is now.

My bags of Esoterica Stonehaven are all 35.00 for an 8oz bag. My Mac Baren Old Dark Fired I paid either 9.99 or 10.99 for a 3.5 oz tin and now they are 22.95 for a 3.5 ounce tin.
Discontinued blends that I loaded up on were Rotary Navy Cut, Brigham Klondike Gold, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Butera Dark Stoved.

States no longer letting tobacco shipped into their borders is a thing. excise taxes on pipe tobacco keep going up. dealers are now expected to collect some of these taxes.
I am going to give one I told you so and then shut my pipe hole.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Pollyanna speaking here. My 9-10 dollar tins are all 30-50% higher than they were in 2012. My pounds of bulk Samuel Gawith flakes cost me 52-55 a pound, not a half a pound like it is now.

My bags of Esoterica Stonehaven are all 35.00 for an 8oz bag. My Mac Baren Old Dark Fired I paid either 9.99 or 10.99 for a 3.5 oz tin and now they are 22.95 for a 3.5 ounce tin.
Discontinued blends that I loaded up on were Rotary Navy Cut, Brigham Klondike Gold, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, Butera Dark Stoved.

States no longer letting tobacco shipped into their borders is a thing. excise taxes on pipe tobacco keep going up. dealers are now expected to collect some of these taxes.
I am going to give one I told you so and then shut my pipe hole.
This just confirms exactly my point. The price of everything is going up.