Inexpensive Meerschaum Question

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

In the above was no mention of carver ability. Nor, quality of the mineral. I prefer meers carved in detail and the pipe in a proportion that captures my eye when on display. Also, I'm not a fan of cheese colored meers.
Warren in here carver not have so much chance to select mineral one by one, it is not like how you imagine it.There are more than 100 meerschaum workshops and 200 meerschaum souvenier shops in Eskişehir.
Raw meerschaums generally sold with fist size.For example when meerschaum miners prepared some raw meerschaum for selling, they just phone carvers like we have 20 fist size raw meerschaum ready and price is this. If you don't buy, ı will sell it to "Carver X".Things are going fast cause of high demand.Carvers not have chance to select raw meerschaum one by one.

So ıf you are already getting your raw meerschaums from same villages quality is same.Those some villages that ı mentioned on my previous reply are good choice for good quality. Just stem and detailed works could make price difference.

Only a few villages have poor quality meerschaum for smoking.Carvers not buy raw meerschaum from that villages for international sales.
In online sales no one could use poor quality mineral because in a problem as a customer you always have a chance to return it or give feedback.

As you mention for detailed works, carver ability is also important.But for a smooth pipe that LeafErikson wants only tenon stem material could make price difference.Otherwise most raw meerschaum are with same quality.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Having bought and got rid of several meerschaum pipes I personally would only buy one with a push pull delrin type tenon.all the ones using the screw in push pull tenons are far too restrictive for my taste
My recent Altinay purchase has a silver spigot style tenon and the draw is great.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Best wishes. Govem is also trustable good carver his raw meerschaums also good quality.As far as ı know 5 months ago they start to work with Kenan in same workshop.
Many thanks for your responses. His workshop had stellar reviews and I was able to by it directly from his Etsy store. He also have YouTube videos showing hid workshop and they all seem like nice, hardworking people that take pride in their work. I’m looking forward to it arriving.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
4653AD5B-C2D8-452E-8B79-1D3B69DB8DF7.jpegB7958FE7-3BCC-4B21-8E5D-3817C98AE3AF.jpeg
My new Ahmet Govem (AGovem) pipe arrived today and man am I satisfied. Smokes cool and dry with no gurgle, passes a pipe cleaner, and came with an additional acrylic stem that I requested. This was my first pipe with a polyester stem and I like it so much that I’m just going to keep it on and put the acrylic stem in my pipe-dedicated shoe box. It’s a group 2-3 in size. Now, back to smoking the piss out of it!