PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have an Altinay meer that I love but it doesn't have a case and it is a lattice pipe. I enjoy the smoking properties of meerschaum so immensely that I'm looking for a more inexpensive, smooth meerschaum, with a case, to be able to comfortably take it out of the house without worrying about it. I've pretty much narrowed it down to an SMS meerschaum or a no-name meerschaum from Meerschaum Market. They're right around the same price ($70-$100) and I was wondering if one is better than the other or is it pretty much six to one half a dozen to the other?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have an Altinay meer that I love but it doesn't have a case and it is a lattice pipe. I enjoy the smoking properties of meerschaum so immensely that I'm looking for a more inexpensive, smooth meerschaum, with a case, to be able to comfortably take it out of the house without worrying about it. I've pretty much narrowed it down to an SMS meerschaum or a no-name meerschaum from Meerschaum Market. They're right around the same price ($70-$100) and I was wondering if one is better than the other or is it pretty much six to one half a dozen to the other?
Sms is a great choice. But also Look at therightpipe.com I have bought a few meers from them. They make it easy to pick based on price. My 50 dollar meer from them is one of my favorites.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not gonna lie I don’t want one purely for aesthetic reasons
They're not for show. They're for smoking. I don't own a meer bowl for my Falcon and I think they are ugly, the system, not the bowls. But, the system is very practical, load multiple bowls for fly fishing in my tube, lunch in a pocket and I'm good for the day. Don't know where you got the idea that they're simply for looking at (aethetics).

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
They're not for show. They're for smoking. I don't own a meer bowl for my Falcon and I think they are ugly, the system, not the bowls. But, the system is very practical, load multiple bowls for fly fishing in my tube, lunch in a pocket and I'm good for the day. Don't know where you got the idea that they're simply for looking at (aethetics).
They can be beautiful works of art, but they deserve to be smoked.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I think falcon pipes are hideous and I won’t smoke one but by all means smoke what you enjoy. I have my cobs and briars for smoking while doing things like kayaking or hiking but wanted a meer that I look at in the same way.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That's how I look at all of my briars and meerschaums.
I generally view my pipes as dispensable, however, my one pipe that I paid more than $100 for is my altinay meerschaum so I’d rather not lose/break it (it also didn’t come with a case unfortunately). I’m thinking a $50-$80 sms meerschaum with a case might be just what I’m looking for.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Upon reading how I worded that I see how what I said could’ve been misconstrued, especially via text. All I meant was that I don’t want to smoke a falcon because I find them ugly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I generally view my pipes as dispensable, however, my one pipe that I paid more than $100 for is my altinay meerschaum so I’d rather not lose/break it (it also didn’t come with a case unfortunately). I’m thinking a $50-$80 sms meerschaum with a case might be just what I’m looking for.
Meerschaum is a bit more resilient than you'd imagine. I dropped my giant Kenan skull on the kitchen floor. The linoleum was dented but the pipe was unharmed.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Meerschaum is a bit more resilient than you'd imagine. I dropped my giant Kenan skull on the kitchen floor. The linoleum was dented but the pipe was unharmed.
Wow that’s kind of incredible. I had to scrape the cake out of my altinay recently for the first time which was kinda scary but it turned out fine and I got it removed. Mine is a lattice so I’m assuming it’s more fragile but I’m no expert.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow that’s kind of incredible. I had to scrape the cake out of my altinay recently for the first time which was kinda scary but it turned out fine and I got it removed. Mine is a lattice so I’m assuming it’s more fragile but I’m no expert.
I'd you're fearful of gouging the material reaming it, sandpaper makes the job a bit less stressful.

In Eskisehir Turkey there are about 4 stem makers,6 box case makers and several meerschaum mines generally everybody gets raw meerschaum from the mines in Sarısu,Turkmentokat, Margı.I am trying to tell you that every carver work with one of those 4 stem makers, one of those 6 box makers and gets raw meerschaum from same villages.Some of the carvers created their online sales many years ago thats why they are well known by the pipe smokers and they have established a stable customer base.
Only way to competition with old ones is price,because of that the newly pipe companies in here have more affordable prices.Old ones not need to reduce their price because they also have so much Chinese whosale customers,they mainly focus to their market.Think it like fashion if Tshirt have Gucci brand logo you could pay 250$ or you could pay 80$ to one with local brand logo.Also it doesn't matter where you get your smooth pipe so much, because smooth pipes always have to carved from best clean (less veiny raw meerschaums).You could carve a skull or figural pipes nearly from every raw meerschaum doesn't need to as clean as ones for smooth ones carver easily give shape or cut off veiny parts while carving the figural ones.Raw meerschaums for smooth pipes are specially seperate by meerschaum miners and every producer pay same price to them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101_215558_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101_215558_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 8

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
In Eskisehir Turkey there are about 4 stem makers,6 box case makers and several meerschaum mines generally everybody gets raw meerschaum from the mines in Sarısu,Turkmentokat, Margı.I am trying to tell you that every carver work with one of those 4 stem makers, one of those 6 box makers and gets raw meerschaum from same villages.Some of the carvers created their online sales many years ago thats why they are well known by the pipe smokers and they have established a stable customer base.
Only way to competition with old ones is price,because of that the newly pipe companies in here have more affordable prices.Old ones not need to reduce their price because they also have so much Chinese whosale customers,they mainly focus to their market.Think it like fashion if Tshirt have Gucci brand logo you could pay 250$ or you could pay 80$ to one with local brand logo.Also it doesn't matter where you get your smooth pipe so much, because smooth pipes always have to carved from best clean (less veiny raw meerschaums).You could carve a skull or figural pipes nearly from every raw meerschaum doesn't need to as clean as ones for smooth ones carver easily give shape or cut off veiny parts while carving the figural ones.Raw meerschaums for smooth pipes are specially seperate by meerschaum miners and every producer pay same price to them.
Thanks you very much for your thorough reply. There are certainly nuances to every trade that slowly reveal themselves as experience is garnered by those that eventually become experts in their trade. Conjecture espoused by people like us on the outside looking in can, I’m sure, at times seem trivial and almost comical to those as involved in the industry as you appear to be. Your Gucci analogy makes a lot of sense to me. Although I will say that I find my Carhartts generally last longer and are more functionally suited for my outdoor work than, say, my Levi’s, which are more prone to rip. While everyone is working with more or less the same materials, I do think that there is some credence to what Warren alluded to above. Exquisite craftsmanship (especially from hand-made products like meerschaum pipes) will always be highly treasured, whether it be in a functional, practical sense, such as a push-pull briar-style tenon, or through ornate carvings that the smoker gets to watch slowly change color over time.