PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
For those who can smoke indoors but don't care for the lingering odors a good HEPA air filtration rig will make a big difference. I have a Honeywell unit that I keep close by while smoking and I leave it on for at least an hour afterwards. It is quiet enough to leave on overnight if you want to really freshen things up. For me at least it's money well spent.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Also the Lampe Berger really helps.
My wife is not a fan, so in the spring, summer and fall I smoke on the balcony. In November....in Chicago...thats not much of an option. I use a hepa filter along with the Lampe

in the guest room
It keeps her happy.

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
As I'm old-school and wear the pants in this family, I'm mostly an indoor smoker. I don't like the fact that the frequent breezes outside quickly burn through my tobacco, making a bowl last about half of my normal indoor smoking time. Also, taste seems to be a bit more muted outdoors.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
We both wear pants in my family. We both work and we both pay bills and we both agree on how we both shall live.
I guess I am not a tough guy.

Dec 28, 2015
+1 Jeff. And a happy wife means a happy me.....most times anyway. Plus I actually like smoking outside.

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
As I said, I'm old-school. Many Western men these days (especially younger ones) have been so indoctrinated, emasculated, and wussified, I wouldn't even classify them as men. I think the man should be the head of the house and make the final decisions, regardless if the wife works or not. You can't have two heads of the household. It doesn't work. But... I'm also for the husband taking his wife's opinions seriously, and thinking deeply of her welfare and happiness, as she should his. But my indoor pipe smoking isn't something I will give up. Period. Compromise- yes. Give up- no. There are ways to compromise on indoor pipe smoking without giving it up. That's why I shake my head every time I read a member here saying he has to smoke outside or in the garage during the freezing winter because his wife won't allow it anywhere inside the house. Sounds like these wives are the ones who are uncompromising. *Shudder*

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
If a man can be emasculated by an opinion and a well stated argument with the woman he loves maybe he is not as tough as he thought.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Chill out Jeff. Amphora is always right.
It takes a real man to admit when he's wrong.

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
If a man can be emasculated by an opinion and a well stated argument with the woman he loves maybe he is not as tough as he thought.
Actions speak louder than words (and opinions). Trying to prove one's love to their spouse by smoking out in the cold when other compromises could be made seems very one-sided and not quite right to me, but that's their choice. I don't agree, but I respect that. Who am I to tell another man how to handle his wife, marriage, and home? But it is interesting how, as a married man, you appear to be offended by my stated style of living in my first post above. It seems the feminists and progressives have really done their job well on the male species. :?
But I don't want to hijack juni's 4 year-old thread. For whatever reasons, some of us smoke outside. And some of us, inside. To each their own. Live and let live. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm. I don't see a necessary conflict between the two statements. I certainly agree it takes a man to admit when he's wrong. Once in a blue moon, of course.....

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
jeff, I totally agree with the statement that 'A happy wife is a happy home'. Actually, I do try to make my wonderful wife happy. But it's cold as hell here in the winter time, and my indoor smoking is one thing I refuse give up. But I do compromise on it. No one should have to breathe smoky air if they don't want to, especially if they have allergies. I always use a ventilation fan or air filters in the winter, and open the windows in the summer. I also frequently smoke in a separate room when she is home. She tolerates it because she knows how important my pipe smoking is to me. I don't ask for much else in life. So it may have sounded like I'm some sort of tyrant, but I'm really not. I just hate to hear about my pipe smoking brethren freezing their butts off in winter when other compromises could be made. :puffy:

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Indoor is the best way to go IMO, but outside works well too if you can be seated, comfortable and there is no breeze. Part of the smoking experience is to taste and inhale (through the nose)the swirling cloud of smoke that develops outside the pipe, not just through the stem, to get the full complexity of the tobacco.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think for some folks, like myself, who have never grown up in a house of smokers, it feels wrong to smoke indoors. I for one wouldn't do it even if my wife didn't mind. Stale smoke down right stinks! I don't care if it's from cigarettes, cigars, or pipes, when it settles, it REEKS! It has nothing to do with a man being emasculated or "wearing the pants" it's more about respecting the person you love and want to share your life with.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
My wife and I both grew up in non-smoker homes. It took quite a bit of conversation between my wife and I before I picked up the pipe. Not because I need her permission, but we live together, and I respect her immensely. Part of the conversation resulted in my compromising to not smoke inside the house. Granted, I live on the Texas coast, so the weather is generally nice here. (a little hot, but I'm from the South Pacific equator) I would love to smoke indoors, for the reasons stated above. I think it would result in a much calmer smoking experience.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I am old school. I am a retired Senior Chief Petty Officer so I got used to doing things and having things done my way because I was a leader and in charge.
I mainly smoke outside.

One reason I don't smoke inside much is that I am a self-employed freelance writer/photographer and advertising designer. I have a lot of electronic equipment that prefers clean air instead of smoke filled air.

Another reason is we have one daughter who has allergies and asthma and the residuals from being around smoke or in rooms where smoking has occurred may cause her problems.

The third reason is the wife doesn't like the aroma of some of my favorite latakia forward blends.

Because I don't mind smoking outdoors, my wife is supportive of my pipe smoking to the point where she buys me 1 or 2 new pipes a year and is continually finding estate pipes on her visits to antique and collectible shops.
If you think any of these make me less of a man then you are the one with a problem not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.