PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Smugly, curmudgeonly single for years, I smoke inside and out. Though there is plenty of variance on this, typically the flakes and ropes and fancy little tins are enjoyed indoors, but I prefer the broad flavors of the usual suspect codger blends I buy in tubs outdoors. Escudo I can smoke anywhere. Cigars ... I save that pleasure for the open air anymore.
One reason I don't smoke inside much is that I am a self-employed freelance writer/photographer and advertising designer. I have a lot of electronic equipment that prefers clean air instead of smoke filled air.

Another reason is we have one daughter who has allergies and asthma and the residuals from being around smoke or in rooms where smoking has occurred may cause her problems.

The third reason is the wife doesn't like the aroma of some of my favorite latakia forward blends.

Because I don't mind smoking outdoors, my wife is supportive of my pipe smoking to the point where she buys me 1 or 2 new pipes a year and is continually finding estate pipes on her visits to antique and collectible shops.
If you think any of these make me less of a man then you are the one with a problem not me.
You win, sir. It takes a real man to weigh the needs and conditions of those living with him with regard to his own maladaptive recreational behaviors, and often there are rewards. :clap:

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Outside, on the balcony on my comfy couch.

There is no reason my wife and son have to breath smoke, and I hate stuffy air.

I have smoked indoors and felt that not having fresh air to feed my puffing and in between, had a negative impact on the entire experience, so always outside.
P.S.

I own pants.

But I also think one should continue investing into your health, appearance and hygiene after marriage, if you want to remain physically attractive to your partner. That means all of the senses are accounted for. I work out to stay in top shape, I groom, I dress nice, and I don't ruin all of the aforementioned by stinking the living shit out of the house.

My wife does the same for me, as well as serves as my best friend, and that's far more important than any smoke, pipe or tobacco.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I smoke mainly in my shop (man cave), but do enjoy smoking outside on the front porch or back patio or even down by the lake on nice days. I don't smoke inside my house, because I don't want my house to smell of smoke, I don't smoke in front of my children, nor do I want them exposed to the smoke, and since my wife hates my smoking I don't smoke in front of her either. I do that out of respect to her and our family as a whole. Plus she would kick my ass if I did it in the house. Now if it was up to her I wouldn't smoke in the shop either, but I pulled my pants up for that argument and put my foot down. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As with all things, friendships often work best in terms of balance.
I prefer to smoke outdoors with a slight breeze. It keeps the smoke out of my face, and by creating an external pressure, makes sipping even easier.
My favorite is to lunt. A pipe never tastes as good as on a spring afternoon or evening when lunting through the woods or even suburbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.