Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Maybe, but the ones I'm talking about are making the same exact posts on a number of threads (some of the posts are getting deleted quickly as spam - thanks mods!).
I liked the one with the three week, $5000, Yoga training camp in India but it was deleted by mod within about 6 minutes of posting and I couldn't find out if they allowed pipe smoking .... :ROFLMAO:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Some maybe, but I'm talking specifically about different accounts posting the same messages (but with no links like normal spam).
There was one like this in a Zippo thread:

"Zippo's customer service is renowned for its commitment to customer satisfaction and exceptional support. Dedicated to upholding the brand's legacy of quality and reliability, Zippo offers a comprehensive lifetime guarantee on its lighters, ensuring that any manufacturing defect is promptly addressed at no cost to the customer. The company provides multiple channels for assistance, including a user-friendly online service portal, email support, and a responsive customer care hotline. Whether you're seeking repair services, product information, or assistance with an order, Zippo's customer service team is always ready to help, ensuring a seamless and positive experience for every customer."

It's an obvious automated copy / paste from Zippo's website and that's all they posted. It was a new account and their only post.

A real person would say, I found this on Zippo's website, but they didn't.

It's a bot that is trying to appear helpful to the thread. They will do this several times so they begin to be trusted before they post actual spam.

Please help us find them by using the report feature so they can be banned sooner rather than later.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
There was one like this in a Zippo thread:

"Zippo's customer service is renowned for its commitment to customer satisfaction and exceptional support. Dedicated to upholding the brand's legacy of quality and reliability, Zippo offers a comprehensive lifetime guarantee on its lighters, ensuring that any manufacturing defect is promptly addressed at no cost to the customer. The company provides multiple channels for assistance, including a user-friendly online service portal, email support, and a responsive customer care hotline. Whether you're seeking repair services, product information, or assistance with an order, Zippo's customer service team is always ready to help, ensuring a seamless and positive experience for every customer."

It's an obvious automated copy / paste from Zippo's website and that's all they posted. It was a new account and their only post.

A real person would say, I found this on Zippo's website, but they didn't.

It's a bot that is trying to appear helpful to the thread. They will do this several times so they begin to be trusted before they post actual spam.

Please help us find them by using the report feature so they can be banned sooner rather than later.
Perfect example, this is exactly the sort of thing I mean. Although there have been some that have only been tangentially related to the thread but are talking about something in very positive terms (but with no obvious link).

Reactions: woodsroad

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perfect example, this is exactly the sort of thing I mean. Although there have been some that have only been tangentially related to the thread but are talking about something in very positive terms (but with no obvious link).
If you are sure it's a bot, please make a Report. If it's just --- maybe-- drop me a PM. Or DM!

(Why PM often gets changed to DM, I dunno. And clues?)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, there's a Karen on every block. So are the bots! That's why I think it's important to weed them out early. We don't want to become known for easy bot access!

Reactions: JOHN72

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you are sure it's a bot, please make a Report. If it's just --- maybe-- drop me a PM. Or DM!

(Why PM often gets changed to DM, I dunno. And clues?)
PM = Private Message, which is the first and original one for decades. DM = Direct Message and as far as I know was created by Instagram for their way of saying private message.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
PM = Private Message, which is the first and original one for decades. DM = Direct Message and as far as I know was created by Instagram for their way of saying private message.
Ah, thanks; long wondered question answered. Thought it might have been some outside factor.

Reactions: JOHN72

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A good example of the wonders of AI:

Top news app in US has Chinese origins and ‘writes fiction’ with the help of AI

LONDON (Reuters) -Last Christmas Eve, NewsBreak, a free app with roots in China that is the most downloaded news app in the United States, published an alarming piece about a small town shooting. It was headlined "Christmas Day Tragedy Strikes Bridgeton, New Jersey Amid Rising Gun Violence in Small Towns."

The problem was, no such shooting took place. The Bridgeton, New Jersey police department posted a statement on Facebook on December 27 dismissing the article - produced using AI technology - as "entirely false".

"Nothing even similar to this story occurred on or around Christmas, or even in recent memory for the area they described," the post said. "It seems this 'news' outlet's AI writes fiction they have no problem publishing to readers."

NewsBreak, which is headquartered in Mountain View, California and has offices in Beijing and Shanghai, told Reuters it removed the article on December 28, four days after publication.