PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Has anyone else noticed that there seem to be a few Lurker accounts being created that post on a number of different threads with posts that don't quite make sense? They are always somewhat related to the thread title, but very vague, and with strange use of language. The accounts also seem to make the same posts.

They're not like the normal bots that are trying to sell something, and don't link to anything. What on earth could they be hoping to achieve?

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I suspect that at least some of these lurkers you're talking about are real human beings who happen to have a first language that is not English. If they are using a translating program to write the post, this would explain the "off" feeling of the writing. If this is true, I sympathize. These folks want to learn about pipe smoking, but they must deal with a language barrier to get information here. My impulse is to try to meet them halfway, try to understand, and give a good answer if possible.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I suspect that at least some of these lurkers you're talking about are real human beings who happen to have a first language that is not English. If they are using a translating program to write the post, this would explain the "off" feeling of the writing. If this is true, I sympathize. These folks want to learn about pipe smoking, but they must deal with a language barrier to get information here. My impulse is to try to meet them halfway, try to understand, and give a good answer if possible.
Maybe, but the ones I'm talking about are making the same exact posts on a number of threads (some of the posts are getting deleted quickly as spam - thanks mods!).

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm a member of some forums where new members are prohibited from posting links until they have 10 posts or a couple of weeks membership under their belt. So occasionally you'll see a newbie post kinda meaningless stuff for a while, before they start unleashing the spam. Something to keep an eye on of course, but I try to give new members the benefit of the doubt. We have long-time members whose posts are strange, too. ;)

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I quite like the bots that post on YouTube with "bum in a thong" or "cameltoe" avatars. Usually a sign that a channel is becoming popular, a bit like a rock musician attracting groupies in ye olden days.

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One post Lurkers with no info asking about value of Grandps old pipes are bad enough but when members respond it is worse. Most are clandestine offers to sell. I wish mods would check PM’s from members that encourage same.
We cannot see PMs of others. You really wouldn't want that, would you?

If a thread irks you beyond the pale, drop me a PM.