PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I'm in my 40s and what has surprised me since sometimes since my 30s is that some older guy will occasionally refer to me as "young man". Can anyone here tell me when I can expect that to completely cease?
Never.

I joined my band when I was 19, all the other dudes were 27-30.
All I heard was "wait until you're our age."

Now I'm 36, they're all 40s and pushing 50, and all I hear is "wait until you're our age."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Age can be pretty informative. You don't see the earlier parts of your life the same way over time because you have more experience and information and history to judge it from.

Of course, there is a nostalgia factor. Everything was beautiful and right in earlier years -- which is probably a way to be satisfied with our early lives and satisfied with how things "turn out."

Older, you do feel more connected to history. That's why people suddenly become interested in genealogy and history, to some degree.

Longevity is usually, if not always, all to the good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think people have always had some agism in them, until they reach a certain age. I think people who are from families, communities, religions, etc. that honor older people, they do better with age themselves, both in their own lives and in attitudes toward older folks.

I was lucky to grow up with all four of my grandparents and was particularly close to my father's mom and my mom's dad, just because our personalities clicked and we shared similar senses of humor.

A friend has just reached the age of 105. From her point of view, I suppose I'm a bit callow, wet behind the ears.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Watched two Japanese movies last night on Netflix. "Kingdom" and "Kingdom Ii: Far and Away". I give 3.5 stars on both. There isn't anything specifically wrong with both movies. Story was somewhat engaging, movies looked good, but I just can't stand Japanese actors in most of the movies. They try to be cute all the time!!! It just ruins for me. But I guess it's trailered towards Japanese domestic audiences.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Watched two Japanese movies last night on Netflix. "Kingdom" and "Kingdom Ii: Far and Away". I give 3.5 stars on both. There isn't anything specifically wrong with both movies. Story was somewhat engaging, movies looked good, but I just can't stand Japanese actors in most of the movies. They try to be cute all the time!!! It just ruins for me. But I guess it's trailered towards Japanese domestic audiences.
Something similar happens to me, those guys with that elasticity, flying from roof to roof, makes me envious. The last time I flew, it was when I tripped over the mop bucket, at three o'clock at night, at home.

Reactions: bullet08

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Something similar happens to me, those guys with that elasticity, flying from roof to roof, makes me envious. The last time I flew, it was when I tripped over the mop bucket, at three o'clock at night, at home.
After reading your posts in English google translation, I’m tempted to change my browser to Spanish just so I can read how everyone else is translated. We may be funnier than we realise!

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
After reading your posts in English google translation, I’m tempted to change my browser to Spanish just so I can read how everyone else is translated. We may be funnier than we realise!
It would be great to work for a year at 🇺🇸 and return to Spain with perfect American English.. It's horrible my friend. Not being able to express myself like normal people. My translator is set to Spanish ~ USA. I am sincerely sorry.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It would be great to work for a year at 🇺🇸 and return to Spain with perfect American English.. It's horrible my friend. Not being able to express myself like normal people. My translator is set to Spanish ~ USA. I am sincerely sorry.
I feel your pain. When I speak Spanish it’s Argentinian and everyone laughs. When I speak English it’s kiwi and everyone laughs. Life is hard for us fresh cauliflower