PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Has anyone tried to freeze pipe tobacco. My wife keeps her cigarettes in the freezer, I used to keep my chew in the fridge. just curious how pipe tobacco would store in the freezer
Ummm, I'm going to ask a stupid question here...ummm, why? Seems unnecessary to me if you are keeping it in Ziploc bags or jars. Her cigarettes are in cellophane which is breathable, not plastic or glass, so I can see why she does that but I don't think you need to.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
2 stories. One second hand one first hand.
Second hand story
A guy told me he moved cross country in winter. Kept his boxes of Tobacco in the back of the uhaul in frigid temperatures. Zapped all the flavor out of his entire cellar and he trashed it all and had to start from scratch.
First hand story
I kept a jar of Carter hall in the console of my truck. Smoked great just like ch does all summer. Packed a bow middle of December and it tasted like warm air and ashes. Brought the jar inside and smoked another the next day in the house. Same thing.

Not sure the science but I firmly believe extremely cold temperatures ruin tobacco and make it flavorless.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Ummm, I'm going to ask a stupid question here...ummm, why? Seems unnecessary to me if you are keeping it in Ziploc bags or jars. Her cigarettes are in cellophane which is breathable, not plastic or glass, so I can see why she does that but I don't think you need to.
Why is just curiosity. I personally use jars, but I was just asking if anyone had tried it.

When vegetative matter is frozen and then thawed, the cell walls break down and enzymes that are present start to break down the cells even further.
When winemakers use fruits to make wines, they will freeze them and immediately thaw them to start the process of releasing juices. For tobacco, this means that the essential oils trapped in the cells will be released and it will taste stale faster than if you had just left it to set for years. Freezing does exactly the opposite of what you want your tobacco to do.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I used to do it in the past, seemingly without harm. The tobacco seemed no better nor worse afterwards. In theory you could avoid any potential mold. On the flip side you'll ruin any chance of aging or fermentation. It's not a practice I would use any more, but if you really want to know whether it's good or bad just do a test and see how it turns out. It's only tobacco after all.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd never thought of this nor tried it, but it occurs to me not to leave tobacco in a vehicle in a climate where there is prolonged cold.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep! Fairly easy side by side comparison. Deep freeze half a pound and jar half a pound for a year or more... Use same pipe with short loads to compare.

Aug 1, 2012
Tobacco spends time in the back of trucks going across the midwest and mountain west during the winter and is delivered successfully to many of us. The temps can be well below zero for much of that time. I probably wouldn't do it myself with a tobacco I cared about but I don't think it would automatically ruin it.

Reactions: logs and BROBS

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I always have a leather roll up pouch of Luxury Twist Flake in my car. Living in Ohio, that means temps well below freezing. There is also a small Boveda pack in there. I've never noticed the smallest difference in taste. Just my own observation.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.