In Search of a Meerschaum Pipe Carved in the Visage of Julius Caesar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Dude...sounds like you've crossed the Rubicon.

Wasn’t he just fantastic? His IQ had to have been incredibly high. I wonder what it would have been like if and he and Pompey hadn’t been opponents, embroiling Rome in Civil War? It’s interesting to speculate. Right when Rome was at the apex pinnacle of her power! That’s some fascinating history, for me at least.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wasn’t he just fantastic? His IQ had to have been incredibly high. I wonder what it would have been like if and he and Pompey hadn’t been opponents, embroiling Rome in Civil War? It’s interesting to speculate. Right when Rome was at the apex pinnacle of her power! That’s some fascinating history, for me at least.

I have not studied it in detail...but there are certainly parallels with modern America.

Made the same mistake of going from a Republic to an Empire...then corruption, decadence, decline and fall. Humans never learn from the past.

As far as his IQ, I have no idea...but I assume he would definitely be way above average if he was in Washington DC today.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Caesar

Caesar was no Einstein.

? How dare you! Explain yourself this instant Mr. Man!

I’ll have you know it was Caesar who first contemplated the speed of light and the effects of gravity! And that’s not even mentioning his delicious salad!

Oh... wait... err...

rotf j/k — Seriously, I love him based on what I’ve read and studied. Some historical accounts have been more kind than others to be sure. I’ve read both the good and the bad. ??‍♂️

?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
? How dare you! Explain yourself this instant Mr. Man!

I’ll have you know it was Caesar who first contemplated the speed of light and the effects of gravity! And that’s not even mentioning his delicious salad!

Oh... wait... err...

rotf j/k — Seriously, I love him based on what I’ve read and studied. Some historical accounts have been more kind than others to be sure. I’ve read both the good and the bad. ??‍♂️

?
Well, The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones...

Reactions: diamondback
My opinions of Julius Caesar formed from Shakespeare’s view - It being a high school text. Even at that age, I was not sure if that highly romantic view is correct!

Second opinion was formed based on Asterix comics (Pic I pasted earlier). That is the most dominant view which is also not historically accurate.

The PBS history documentaries somehow do not leave a permanent memory, so my view of Julius is still a mix of Shakespeare and Asterix comics.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Many times the reverse is true: just look at the glorification of blackguards

Now there's an idea...a blackguard meer collection.

The PBS history documentaries somehow do not leave a permanent memory, so my view of Julius is still a mix of Shakespeare and Asterix comics.

I saw Hail Caesar!

I didn't learn much about Caesar, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with blackguards.

Reactions: cshubhra
Status
Not open for further replies.