In Search of a Meerschaum Pipe Carved in the Visage of Julius Caesar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
As the title indicates, I’m in search of such a meerschaum that is reasonably priced. By reasonably priced I mean no more than $2-3 hundred dollars. Currently I’m unable to spend more than this.

I’ve searched but have yet to find such a pipe. There are some tempting ones, and I’ll settle for a different carving if no “Julius Caesars” exist.

If it comes to having to commission a piece such as this, I’m certain I’ll need to save a good deal more, but thought I’d ask you all if you know of such a pipe.

Thanks!

Nicholas / “diamondback” (old pool hall nickname)

Reactions: burleyboy and BROBS

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm sure there are some out there, I've seen figural meers with everybody on them.

Have you tried meerschaummarket? Not really Caesar, and out of your price range, but...

IMG_1834__99856.1570724824.JPG

• Love
Reactions: diamondback

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Contact Sinan Altinok at Altinok Meerschaum Pipes. He will probably be able to help you and keep it in your price range. He's a great guy to work with and his pipes are high quality.

• Love
Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meerschaums are usually carved in Turkey or influenced from there, and Julius Caesar wasn't a big cultural figure in that culture or later in the Ottoman Empire, whatever role he may have actually played around the edges during his time. There are likely carvers who could work from a piece of art or photo representing Julius, but they wouldn't come up with him otherwise. Any more than we would come with Suleiman the Magnificent. Caesar is big stuff to us, not notable to them.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
A few months ago I was browsing meers on a website and there was one of a man wearing a laurel wreath. Was it Julius?.. Don’t know for sure. I can’t even remember what the site was, but it’s out there somewhere!

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Sorry for the off topic, but if you're about to comission a specific figural meer, why don't you let the carver make one resembling your own head? This would be amazing - the diamondback meer.

Some time later, you could have one made resembling your head and the diamond back meer clenched.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Sorry for the off topic, but if you're about to comission a specific figural meer, why don't you let the carver make one resembling your own head? This would be amazing - the diamondback meer.

Some time later, you could have one made resembling your head and the diamond back meer clenched.

Oh heavens, I’m ugly as sin!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.