PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Congrats on your new Peterson.
It is so refreshing to hear about a company standing behind their product and giving excellent customer service.
I would expect that of Peterson.
I am very pleased with my Petersons and will be adding more to my collection. I am of a mind to collect several more of the Irish Harp sandblasted line and am keeping an eye out for a 408.

I just finished my first bowl with my first Peterson System with the P-Lip, I was leery of the P-lip at first, but I actually really like it. It's much smaller than my fishtail and is a lot easier to clench for me. I'm already looking at more system pipes now, lol. Pic is my new System (Saint Patrick's Day 2024 Rusticated (305) P-Lip).
What do you think of the “system”? I’m considering getting one but actually prefer filtered pipes now so I can’t make up my mind to take a risk on one or not.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
What do you think of the “system”? I’m considering getting one but actually prefer filtered pipes now so I can’t make up my mind to take a risk on one or not.
I'll throw my .o2 in here.
The filter is not needed with the well to collect moisture. It requires a fraction more cleaning / maintenance, but not necessary to spend $ on filters.
Most of the pipes (any brand) that accepts filters, usually perform acceptable for me without, but I do prefer the tighter draw.
In my experience, other lines from Peterson, such as the Sherlock Holmes, have a narrow draught and all smoke quite dry without the presence of a well or the ability to accept a filer.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

toomuchstuff

Lurker
Apr 5, 2024
I bought a p-lip stem online for $25 and adopted it to a Savinelli I liked.
Takes a little fiddling but you're not stuck with having to buy Peterson's to get the p-lip.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The only problem I foresee in the future is I worry that the P-lip may have spoiled me and that any new pipes I purchase will have to be Peterson’s. 😂
The p-lip is a great thing: for guys like you and me who enjoy it, it's great. And any thread that has 'Peterson' in the title gives the anti-plip guys a chance to let us know. So everyone ends up being happy.

It's definitely a bent Peterson p-lip morning smoke for me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I bought a p-lip stem online for $25 and adopted it to a Savinelli I liked.
Takes a little fiddling but you're not stuck with having to buy Peterson's to get the p-lip.
Savinelli has a Dry Fit line (IIRC) with a modified P-lip that's a little wider and flatter. I have a few and they're pretty good. No mixing needed.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I completely agree with what OP said. I’m about a month into my first Pete. I have to force myself to pick up anything else. Tongue bite is in the past with this thing. A most enjoyable hunk of wood, metal and plastic.

Nevaditude

Can't Leave
Apr 5, 2022
Northern Nevada
I’ve looked at system pipes I prefer to smoke with a filter but I could be tempted.
Welcome to the fold. puffy Peterson System Pipes must have the P-lip to be considered a true system AND all models are available with 9mm version - just not too many in the States. These can hard to find, but completely worth the effort. BUT no worries- go to smoking pipes.eu and in the search bar type in 'peterson 9mm p-lip' and you will be rewarded with these sort of choices below. The folks in Dublin=BEST, they WILL take care of you. Use $ort option.

Smokingpipes.eu Search - https://www.smokingpipes.eu/search/main-search.cfm?string=peterson%209mm%20p-lip&category_id=172

I wish you Happy Hunting, er... Lunting !
:sher:

Petes.png

Last edited:
That's a nice 221. I'm also realizing I love the p-lip instead of just being neutral about it. The question now is what's your next Pete? If you want something a little bit lighter and want to try the full system, I’d suggest a 317 or 313.
My next Pete was a Sherlock Holmes ‘Hudson’ which I love as well. I just can’t get over the comfort of the Emerald though when clenching. The balance is perfect.

Just enjoying the Hudson. It’s a really gorgeous pipe. I know the P-lip seems to be a love it/hate it thing but I really find it strange that it seems maligned by some folks. It’s really no different to hold in the mouth and smoke than any other pipe I’ve had in the past. I just find the delivery slightly easier on my tastebuds which allows me to taste the subtleties of the baccy I’m smoking. At the end of the day it’s all subjective and I don’t see any right or wrong, just different.

IMG_0896.jpegl