PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint has their Cayuga line, which I believe are still made in house. I have several, and they are all good pipes.
I recently stopped in and bought a Cayuga, stamped with the brand on the side of the stem, but also stamped Italy on the bottom. It was also one of the cheaper Cayuga's available.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I recently stopped in and bought a Cayuga, stamped with the brand on the side of the stem, but also stamped Italy on the bottom. It was also one of the cheaper Cayuga's available.
I really have no idea. I know at one time they were made completely in house. I know they have the shop, and Dan still does repairs on the spot.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I have 2 Astley's from 109 Jermyn Street in London and one Fribourg & Treyer from their old London shop. I'll see if I can take some pictures. Those are estates obviously since those shops have been closed for decades. But I do own one house pipe from Arnold's Tobacco Shop in New York City (Madison Avenue just north of 42nd Street) that I bought in the shop when it still existed about the year 1992. Now long gone.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have 2 Astley's from 109 Jermyn Street in London and one Fribourg & Treyer from their old London shop. I'll see if I can take some pictures. Those are estates obviously since those shops have been closed for decades. But I do own one house pipe from Arnold's Tobacco Shop in New York City (Madison Avenue just north of 42nd Street) that I bought in the shop when it still existed about the year 1992. Now long gone.
I bought my first Elie Bleu humidor and EB pocket cigar case (with built in humidifier) from Arnold’s—I don’t remember seeing their house pipes—I wish I had.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I grew up in Milwaukee, WI and associate pipes and tobacco with Uhles. I've found three stamped pipes on eBay for cheap and cleaned them up, one I think is a Comoys but the other two I have no idea, all are great smokers. I intend to stay on the hunt for anything stamped Uhles.
I have 6-7 E. Andrew pipes; I know he likely sold out of Uhles on occasion. Generally larger size pipes, which I like. Some nice work he did. I stopped into Holes years ago, great shop.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in the 60s there was a shop in Texas called "Judd's Pipe Shop" and Judd sold a brand of pipes with his name on them. He told everyone that they were hand made by him, when actually, they were bought from Weber pipe company and Judd just stamped his name on them. I'm wondering, any of you guys own one of these pipes by chance? puffy

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’ve been thinking about building a collection of estate pipes sold under the branding of famed former and current shops like Nat Sherman, e. Wilke; LJ Peretti, etc.. . These would be for smoking not just collecting.. any thoughts/pitfalls I should watch for?
I have seen Fribourg and Treyer pipes here and there , seems that would be a score

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Uhle's made their own up until I think the 80's. @stemandbriar bought the old machinery out from their basement workshop.

Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus still makes their own. My wife owns a pipe that Rosewitha made there.

There was a shop in Skokie, IL, just north of Chicago that made their own. A club member here tells a story of buying one, and throwing it out the car window an hour later because it was so poorly made.

Neat idea for a collection! You could display them on a large enough map of the states...

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
Uhle's made their own up until I think the 80's. @stemandbriar bought the old machinery out from their basement workshop.

Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus still makes their own. My wife owns a pipe that Rosewitha made there.

There was a shop in Skokie, IL, just north of Chicago that made their own. A club member here tells a story of buying one, and throwing it out the car window an hour later because it was so poorly made.

Neat idea for a collection! You could display them on a large enough map of the states...
I believe that place was Cellini, which was originally on Franklin Street in downtown Chicago before the move to Skokie. Their pipes were cheap but functional. About $10-20 in the 70s when I used to go there. There were plain stummels, no sandblasts or stain, and no competition to Iwan Ries where one could get real pipes.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I see a (D.) Brumfit pipe up for auction. I wonder who made pipes for this shop. I have a feeling they had quality pipes. I know people love the Bewlays.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
In general, I think this idea makes sense. House pipes are usually sold by established pipe shops, and they have an interest in finding good pipes as house pipes, especially to get new smokers into pipe smoking so the shops have repeat business from satisfied customers. They may not be loss leaders, but they are usually moderately priced and sourced from quality pipe makers.

My first pipe was a Tinder Box St. Ives, purchased about 1978 and still looking and smoking strong, sourced from a French maker, perhaps Chacom or Charatan. Iwan Ries had excellent house pipes sourced from Edwards under their Benton line, oil cured Algerian briar, and they too are still going strong and look great. Today the IR pipes are sourced from Genod, and they also look first rate.

A few house pipes come from unexpected sources, like those from Disney theme parks and L.L. Bean.

Like any estate pipes, some would be in better repair and better maintained than others. Since these are often bought by new pipe smokers, they may have suffered some neglect or abuse, like bad reaming or over buffing. But in general, I think this is a promising path to a good rotation of pipes.
I walked right past the tobacco shop in Disneyland years ago, long before I picked up the pipe. Boy oh boy if I had that to do over again!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m not looking to collect at this moment, and am not steeped in enough history of B&M’s to start a house pipe collection.

That being said, having inherited my father’s pipes to start my own journey at 55yo I do like my Iwan Ries house pipe. Dad shopped there exclusively when I was a toddler and we lived in Glenview IL 1968-70, and continued to visit when business took him there through the seventies after we’d moved to AZ.
It was nice to find background on the pipe in an old IR catalogue, showing my pipe was made by Bari in Denmark (Dad favored the Danes).29015ABD-7A69-4BF4-9951-BC6A42B7DF3A.jpeg49CB9CD0-79AA-432F-AAA1-FF8FB653FA9F.jpeg8D265AE2-1A39-4690-8F3E-571F1C240F6C.jpeg