PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jon888

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2022
NYC
I’ve been thinking about building a collection of estate pipes sold under the branding of famed former and current shops like Nat Sherman, e. Wilke; LJ Peretti, etc.. . These would be for smoking not just collecting.. any thoughts/pitfalls I should watch for?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In general, I think this idea makes sense. House pipes are usually sold by established pipe shops, and they have an interest in finding good pipes as house pipes, especially to get new smokers into pipe smoking so the shops have repeat business from satisfied customers. They may not be loss leaders, but they are usually moderately priced and sourced from quality pipe makers.

My first pipe was a Tinder Box St. Ives, purchased about 1978 and still looking and smoking strong, sourced from a French maker, perhaps Chacom or Charatan. Iwan Ries had excellent house pipes sourced from Edwards under their Benton line, oil cured Algerian briar, and they too are still going strong and look great. Today the IR pipes are sourced from Genod, and they also look first rate.

A few house pipes come from unexpected sources, like those from Disney theme parks and L.L. Bean.

Like any estate pipes, some would be in better repair and better maintained than others. Since these are often bought by new pipe smokers, they may have suffered some neglect or abuse, like bad reaming or over buffing. But in general, I think this is a promising path to a good rotation of pipes.

Jon888

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2022
NYC
Yes.. I do. Thanks.. I guess what I’m wondering is that other than my own whim to say this is from so and so shop that may no longer be in business, so these pipes tend to be good quality? Better off buying day a comoy or chartain..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, the sourcing on these pipes can be difficult to pin down sometimes. Iwan Ries has always been straightforward on sourcing, so you pretty much know what brand it is. I think they started with Genod in the 1960's, and have gone through Benton and Savinelli, and maybe others over the years.

With Tinder Box, it was a little more uncertain, but the house historian made an educated guess. Sourcing changes over time and can be quite short-term in some cases.

So you can just accept that as the nature of house pipes and build an interesting collection, with some ambiguity on some pipes. I've had a good experience with house pipes, so the idea appeals to me. It's not my whole pipe rack, but I have a number.

One of my house pipes, an estate pipe gift from friends, is a Thompson (Cigar) house pipe also stamped "West Germany." It's a handsome freehand with plateau on the brim, and I had a new tortoise shell stem installed.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cellinis?
Being British & never having set foot in the states, I don't really know. What I do know though is some of the nicest looking American pipes I've seen on this forum were 'Cellinis Originals'.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It's true, the sourcing on these pipes can be difficult to pin down sometimes. Iwan Ries has always been straightforward on sourcing, so you pretty much know what brand it is. I think they started with Genod in the 1960's, and have gone through Benton and Savinelli, and maybe others over the years.

With Tinder Box, it was a little more uncertain, but the house historian made an educated guess. Sourcing changes over time and can be quite short-term in some cases.

So you can just accept that as the nature of house pipes and build an interesting collection, with some ambiguity on some pipes. I've had a good experience with house pipes, so the idea appeals to me. It's not my whole pipe rack, but I have a number.

One of my house pipes, an estate pipe gift from friends, is a Thompson (Cigar) house pipe also stamped "West Germany." It's a handsome freehand with plateau on the brim, and I had a new tortoise shell stem installed.
Any pipe stamped with a defunct country must carry an added appeal; it certainly does for me. Very cool!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Cellinis?
Being British & never having set foot in the states, I don't really know. What I do know though is some of the nicest looking American pipes I've seen on this forum were 'Cellinis Originals'.
Come visit the USA ... its really much better and more beautiful in person than depicted on T.V. and you'll get an opportunity to meet the people who are not depicted on T.V. ! ;)

Reactions: dunnyboy

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Yes.. I do. Thanks.. I guess what I’m wondering is that other than my own whim to say this is from so and so shop that may no longer be in business, so these pipes tend to be good quality? Better off buying day a comoy or chartain..
It’s been my experience that the quality of shop branded pipes can really vary- it all depends on who made them. I like the idea of smoking an LJP blend from an LJP pipe so I’ve got a couple of LJP estates that are decent but not awesome. You can purchase one of their anniversary pipes (which look very good) from their on line store.

IMHO- building a collection of shop branded pipes would be fun and for the most part fairly affordable

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
I was quite taken with a shop pipe from Paris, Pipe du Nord. If I understand it correctly, they were made by someone else (Savinelli?) but with Marie, the proprietress', design. I really like this: shops designing their own, even if someone else makes them.

Reactions: dunnyboy and FLDRD

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I have a few shops’ pipes. L.J Peretti has some good ones, though they lost the stamp to put their name on them. They can be affordable, but not for quality pieces in my experience. Collectible? Absolutely, go for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been to Ireland twice, and I never saw the Peterson "airport pipes." I did go to the customs free shop at least once, so either they didn't have them, or I missed them being focused on catching the homebound flight.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
@Perimeter_Road that pipe is a dead ringer for a St Ives pipe from the Tinderbox that has been a regular smoker in my rotation for years.

I have an Emerson pipe marked with Macs Pipe Shop in Palo Alto that I’ve been told is almost certainly a house pipe made by Comoy and it’s even marked with their shape number.

Interesting way to build a collection! Cool idea!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint has their Cayuga line, which I believe are still made in house. I have several, and they are all good pipes.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have 3 each of Don Lou (hardwood), John Bessai, and Rich Lewis pipes.

The Lewis and Bessai pipes are very well made, and smoke great. Don Lou hardwoods are a little odd as far as shaping goes, but they smoke well.

I have a few private label pipes, some which the maker is known, others unknown.