PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I was quite taken with a shop pipe from Paris, Pipe du Nord. If I understand it correctly, they were made by someone else (Savinelli?) but with Marie, the proprietress', design. I really like this: shops designing their own, even if someone else makes them.
Pipe du Nord is one of the legendary pipe shops left in Paris. The lady is amazing. Look up you tube for some interviews and features. you’ll find some, of course in French.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I remember back in the 60s there were quite a few shops that bought pipes from Weber and had the shop name stamped on them. They were typical English shapes and modestly priced. Not bad for the money. puffy

Reactions: samuelgawith01
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
The above is mostly true, but, there are exceptions—Blatter & Blatter in Montreal has a shop (since 1907 and in their present location since 1970) and actually makes their own pipes. I believe Barclay Rex in New York did make pipes at one time, but, I’m not sure how one would distinguish one of those from the outsourced ones.
Here's a freehand tobacco leaf pipe made by Vincent Nastri Sr. of Barclay-Rex of NYC. This was made in house. I bought it back in the mid 80s when I was a hang around at their Maiden Lane address. 20230227_203819.jpg20230227_202757.jpg

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Back in the 60s there was a shop in Texas called "Judd's Pipe Shop" and Judd sold a brand of pipes with his name on them. He told everyone that they were hand made by him, when actually, they were bought from Weber pipe company and Judd just stamped his name on them. I'm wondering, any of you guys own one of these pipes by chance? puffy
I saw some new,unsmoked house pipes in an original store display box from Judd's on Ebay a few years ago I did not have time to stay around and complete the auction. 😔

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In an early issue of Pipes & Tobaccos, in a profile of McCranie’s it’s mentioned that they had house pipes that were handmade by Bill Taylor, founder of Ashton Pipes.

• Wow
Reactions: Elric