PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The only codger blend I've tried was Half and Half. That was my first smoke, 15 years ago. Didn't like it.

Although I generally dislike burley, I am curious to try the famous codger blends, just to have tried them.

The two which most intrigue me to try are Mixture 79 and SWRA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Can't let this thread slide past without a salute to jiminks who rescued the blend Edward G. Robinson from the dustbin of history. Perhaps it is too special a case to call it a codger blend, but it is associated with the genre though it is distinctive in its own right. I really like it, but I keep saving back my tin. I may have to stop doing that.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Half and Half.

It's my go to blend.
Half and Half is way underrated at a codger blend in my opinion. However, Im much more of a Virginia fan, so maybe thats why I like Half and Half over the more burley based blends? Id like to know how much burley is in other codger blends. I think Half and Half is about 50% burley, ha.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Half and Half is way underrated at a codger blend in my opinion. However, Im much more of a Virginia fan, so maybe thats why I like Half and Half over the more burley based blends? Id like to know how much burley is in other codger blends. I think Half and Half is about 50% burley, ha.
Half of Half and Half is BU, half of half and half is VA. 😉

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I remember reading somewhere that 5 bro’s used to have a number of competitors in the “strong codger” category. This is to say, there used to be a variety of codger blends that were not tamed into submission. If this were still true, I might be a codger blend smoker. But the codger blends I have smoked, except 5 bros, all seem like white burley with the life toasted out of it, then cased and topped. I taste the flavoring—and the flatness of white burley beneath. I smoke them once in a great while, but it mainly serves as a reminder of how much I like burley alive and wild

Reactions: seanv