36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Today, as I was smoking my apple shaped large bowl five pointed three star Lee with a load of Lane Ready Rub, I wondered to myself how pleasant the tobacco was.

I have many many different tins and bags of all varieties of tobacco. However, I thought, if I had to limit myself to perhaps just this one bowl because access to other types of tobacco was limited, I think I could live with Ready Rub.

Codgers. They get ridiculed for their adherence to smoking only one or two types of OTC blends, but I got to thinking, if that was only what was available at your small general store, wouldn't you want a blend that you could live with - one that would lend itself to longevity in terms of taste. Kind of like Bud or Coors or Miller.

You get the point.

If the world were to change and all you had access to really were OTC blends, which ones would you gravitate toward?

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I could smoke OTC type blends and be happy I think, as long as there was a little variety. I like Amphora Original, Half&Half, and Sutliff's codger matches (Ready Rub, Revelation, etc).

According to the older fellas I've talked to in the area, and from what I've seen in local antique stores everybody here used to smoke Amphora, Prince Albert, or going back a bit further, Edgeworth Slices. Those little blue tins are still all over. I could see how someone could smoke something like that and be quite content.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Honestly? I’d switch to cigars. I’d rather smoke machine-made Dutch Masters than be stuck with an OTC pipe tobacco for the rest of my life. I haven’t tried one yet that I could smoke for more than half a bowl. But burley is my least-favorite leaf; OTC brands love to use cheap, mulched, and to me characterless burley.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I revel in variety, from codger bag tobacco to primo expensive blends, so i don't want to settle in with one blend of anything, I admit. However, I regularly and thoroughly enjoy the old standard so-called codger blends. As a group, they stay lit, burn evenly, don't cultivate an undesirable nicotine habit, don't have much or any bite, are widely distributed and available at relatively moderate cost, and often times deliver the best smoke of the week. So yes, hurrah for codger blends.

I grew up with a dad who smoked only Granger, and only owned one pipe at a time, with maybe a burn-out as a back-up, and only smoked from the foil pouch. I'm also a devout burley smoker, though I enjoy most genres. So I'm pre-disposed to like codger blends.

My favorite codgers at the moment are Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and their Regular (which is also aromatic), but I like most others. PA is a little too cocoa dominant for me, though I have enjoyed it, and Half-and-Half I find verging on harsh for what is usually a sure bet delight of a Virginia and burley blend. But mostly, OTC/codgers are good with me.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Sir Walter Raleigh.
I recently did a thing where I bought a bunch of "OTC" pouches and tried to live with 'em for a bit. From the first taste, SWR did it for me. And every time I came back to it, I told myself I needed to smoke it more. It's cheap, packs ridiculously easy, stays lit, and tastes awesome. What's not to like?

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Some of the codger blends I've tried (SWR, Velvet, mixture 79, Carter Hall) I didn't really care for. Is 1Q a codger? If it is, I could smoke that and only that and be happy. I know that in the UK, St Bruno is a codger blend, and I would very happily smoke the Flake and nothing else for the rest of time.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I really liked US production SWR, but I'm not as crazy about the new production. Can't stand Half & Half. If I had to choose it would probably be SWR or Prince Albert.

I've really been enjoying Watch City's Original Crumb Cut recently. I consider it pretty codger-y. I'd rather have it than and of the others, tbh.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today, as I was smoking my apple shaped large bowl five pointed three star Lee with a load of Lane Ready Rub, I wondered to myself how pleasant the tobacco was.

I have many many different tins and bags of all varieties of tobacco. However, I thought, if I had to limit myself to perhaps just this one bowl because access to other types of tobacco was limited, I think I could live with Ready Rub.

Codgers. They get ridiculed for their adherence to smoking only one or two types of OTC blends, but I got to thinking, if that was only what was available at your small general store, wouldn't you want a blend that you could live with - one that would lend itself to longevity in terms of taste. Kind of like Bud or Coors or Miller.

You get the point.

If the world were to change and all you had access to really were OTC blends, which ones would you gravitate toward?
Half and Half