PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Head downtown, DC is one of the poorer communities in the country.
Really?
When is the last time you were in DC? The housing market in the city limits of DC is insane.
I was just there over Thanksgiving and the housing prices are astronomical.
I agree with the others a cob is your best bet.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Georgetown and couple other areas have money. I'm sure it's changed over the last few years as the Congress steadily moves the poorer sections into Maryland with new Federal buildings. At least that was what was going on 10 or 12 years ago. Last I saw DC rated third in the nation at 19.9% of the population living below the poverty line. The current housing market only indicates that rich people (read: politicians, lobbyists, etc.) wanting to live in the more genteel sections of the District are willing to pay for it. Those people shop Georgetown, Arlington,Tyson Corners and the other places in the burbs. Step a block away from the tourist traps and up-scale neighborhoods and you'll the slums which are located away from tourist areas.
I've not had the urge to venture to DC since I no longer have to attend courses there. Last I was there, 10 years ago, there were no middle class residential areas. It's either rich or poor areas. The middle class live in Virginia or Maryland. The District is very divided between lots of money and no money.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
It's either rich or poor areas. The District is very divided between lots of money and no money.
Looks like a microcosm of our society. How ironic the microcosm is in our nations capital.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Again thanks for all of the advice. As for those who mentioned buying a pipe and leaving it in my vehicle. That would have not worked...we drove my wife's car to D.C.
Now about D.C. being inexpensive. I gotta tell you in all honesty that we have been going down for 10 years to visit my son. And for 10 years I've complained, along with my wife, how damn expensive that area is. When I take my son and 4 year old grand-daughter to dinner, or breakfast, it costs twice what I pay here in NY.
And we eat in restaurants not just in D.C., but the surrounding areas as well. Alexandria, Maclean, Falls Church. This last time down, I sprung for breakfast, and for 3 1/2 people it cost me $60 with the tip. I can go to a greasy spoon here and get eggs and extras for $6. I buy for 4 it costs me $35 with the tip.
I needed to buy a shirt because I did not bring enough clothes. I went to 3 stores looking for the same sport shirt I wear at home. The same $20 shirt here goes for $27 in D.C.
My sons property taxes, when he had his home, were crazy high. For a home that was smaller than mine here in NY, he was paying 4 times what I pay.
As for pipes? What'a joke! I went to two shops in neighboring D.C. and they wanted $16 for a $10 cob.
My son say's its expensive, but he loves living there. For me, I would love to move down to be with him and the grand-daughter, but honestly, my life style would change, and not for the better.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you wanted cheap you need to go to the part of the city where you stand out, are uncomfortable and, get stared at. Trust me, you can eat cheaper and still get a great meal. When I attended classes in the Hoover Building we were advised to always go in a group of three or more, carry our weapons and try not to look like coppers (easier said than done). I do not recall ever being verbally abused and always ate well.
If I remember correctly most of the great "down home" cooking places were in the NE part of the District, out by the Navy Yard or whatever it was called. The trick is to get off the beaten path and not go where the moneyed folk go.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Warren thanks for that info. I will tell my son.
He always picks the restaurants because I don't know where to go. And of course because dad is buying, he doesn't really care about the price. :roll:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
408e6f4466558ea51c0dbae6c422ac44.jpg

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Warren
You're a good dad!
Warren thank you. I have always felt that if there is one thing I do right in this lifetime, it's being a good father. Nothing else matters.
foggymountian
Pick up a few cigars.
It was a thought I gave seriously. But, I ended up going cold turkey for 4 days.
Woodsroad = Great idea!!!!!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I realize this is late but I want to second the Draper's recommendation. They have some reasonably priced basket pipes and a somewhat decent selection of tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.