Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
......and buying a Kiribi. I've held out for a full year since I started pipe smoking but don't know if I can stand it any longer. Im looking at the $80 one on SP, I think I'll buy it Wednesday when Sun Bear comes out. Good investment? I can fix my LAD and TAD in one go.

I have a Kiribi (not actually a Kiribi, but the exact same lighter that was made by the company that produces them for Kiribi) and an Old Boy.
The Kiribi has a design flaw where the screw on the snuffer cap works itself loose. It was a pain in the ass to keep tightening it up.
I much prefer the Old Boy and think it's worth the extra cost.
Just my opinion and lots of people love their Kiribi.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I like my Kiribi but it does not light every time anymore. I am sure it needs a serious cleaning. I will say a Bic has never let me down and you can buy the 50 packs off Ebay at a good price.

Reactions: BROBS and Worknman

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I will definitely think harder about getting the Old Boy if they're better quality, which seems to be the consensus. Do they require a certain type of replacement flints?

Last edited:
Reactions: ofafeather
Jun 9, 2018
England
Oh, and my vote would be for you to look hard at an IM Corona. They aren't THAT much more money and I believe the build quality is tons better. They probably come out of the same factory with minor changes..

Different company and factory I believe.
I will definitely think harder about getting the Old Boy if they're better quality, which seems to be the consensus. Do they require a certain type of replacement flints?

They do sell branded IM Corona flints.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have a Corona Old Boy and a new Kiribi. I like them both. If I am moving around a lot or throwing it in a pocket it’s usually a Zippo. I like to do the initial lights as much as possible with stick matches. I usually buy the large kitchen matches from the supermarket for use at home, which is mostly where I smoke. I don’t like to do charring lights with the zippo but have done it before. The Kiribi and Corona both are easier to to charring lights with. The Corona feels heftier to me and has the excellent tamper which doubles as a screwdriver you can use for adjustments. The Kiribi is larger than my Old Boy but lighter and the yanks capacity?....Wow! Holds a lot of fuel. No tamper though.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Just got an old boy and very happy i spent 100 bucks on it. Feels great in the hand, stays lit in the wind, lights reliably. If the kiribi caught your eye i say get it. I know a lot of people use bics but i find them to be a pain in the ass due to the lack of an angled flame and the wheel gets hot as hell. Pipe smoking is a ritualistic tactile experience. Seems to me that a nice and reliable lighter complements that.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Get what floats your boat! In the long run, I’ve reverted to only a Zippo pipe lighter, and/or a Bic. Much depends on where (physically) you like to smoke, and maybe even how often.
my Zippo, used only once a day, will last 30 days on a fill. Great inside or out. Will grant the very personal “fluid taste” does not work for some. Bic for travel, and the car (for safety reason). Inside only? A fancy lighter is a very nice addition to the paraphernalia of pipe smoking! Good luck!?

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Well it wasn't an easy decision but I went with the Old Boy. I did a little research and while most seem to like their Kiribi, more than few have talked about various problems, mainly with the arm screw coming loose. I don't have the patience to send things back for warranty calls. The Old Boy seemed to have less complaints so for $30 more, I went with it.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Well it wasn't an easy decision but I went with the Old Boy. I did a little research and while most seem to like their Kiribi, more than few have talked about various problems, mainly with the arm screw coming loose. I don't have the patience to send things back for warranty calls. The Old Boy seemed to have less complaints so for $30 more, I went with it.
I came to the exact same conclusion. So hard to parse reviews. But I did see many complaints about the arm screw.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Bic does the job done. But my last one ran out of fuel. So back to Zippo. I just make sure it as fuel before heading out to the front porch. Kiribi is ok. Have one, but rarely use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.