PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
IMG_4021 Large.jpeg

I just completed my second Forever Stem. That's a new Country Gentleman sporting a new Dark Orange Ripple long-ass stem, set off by a real silver band 'cause we fancy now.

This is fresh off the heels of me doing a side-by-side comparison of 1-Q and CBR. I know this has been debated to death, but I wanted to see for myself if I thought they were the exact same tobacco or not. I concluded that if they aren't the exact same blend, they have the same base. They didn't taste exactly the same to me, but my CBR was much fresher than my 1-Q, and CBR tasted more oily. This made sense to me because I think that CBR has more PG than 1-Q.

...ANYWAY, I was smoking 1-Q in my lunting beater cob and CBR in my first Forever Stem cob. The draw and the feel of the Forever Stem made me enjoy the experience of the CBR much more than the 1-Q, even though they were pretty much the same tobacco. I went in thinking I would compare 1-Q and CBR, and I ended up testing the original plastic stem vs. Forever Stem.

Forever Stem FTW!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I appreciate my forever stems, as I tend to be rough on my stems. However they are way too tight of a draw for me. I can get moisture in the stem halfway through a bowl, after drying a tobacco to crispy crunchy dry dust for a few days. I won't get rid of my forever stems, but they don't see much use.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I appreciate my forever stems, as I tend to be rough on my stems. However they are way too tight of a draw for me. I can get moisture in the stem halfway through a bowl, after drying a tobacco to crispy crunchy dry dust for a few days. I won't get rid of my forever stems, but they don't see much use.
That's so interesting because that Forever Stem had a way better draw than my cob stem. The Forever Stem was effortless and the cob was like breathing through a straw. That first one is a C-shape.

I haven't tried the new one above, which is the longest G shape. I'll be christening it on a trip to the mountains soon.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's so interesting because that Forever Stem had a way better draw than my cob stem. The Forever Stem was effortless and the cob was like breathing through a straw. That first one is a C-shape.

I haven't tried the new one above, which is the longest G shape. I'll be christening it on a trip to the mountains soon.
Weird. I've never met another pipe as wide open as ANY of the MM with stock stems. And I have 2 white dot original "forever stems" and 2 from a different company. And every one of those is whistling tight!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would recommend the premium, non-filtered acrylic stem cobs that are made by MM. I have a straight emerald and a Louis bent that I smoke semi-regularly. The draw is perfect and almost feels like a Savinelli draw in a weird way. A straight emerald MM cob was the only pipe I smoked for my first year of pipe smoking. I smoked that thing daily until it got rankity stank and I chucked it in the bin. Good memories from that thing.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm a bit ignorant on this, perhaps someone could help me out, but what exactly is a forever stem? What makes it different from other acrylic or vulcanite stems?

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've got nearly a dozen of the original stems. I have not picked up any of the new ones from Vermont Freehand, however, I can say that they make a great addition to any MM cob; both aesthetically and functionally.